brown stuff on chainsaw chains

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shoot-straight

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2012
Kennedyville, MD
i have been getting alot of brown colored residue on my chainsaw chains as of late. seems more prevalent when i cut wet/greener wood. oil is being pumped out, so i dont think its lack of that.

Burned on sap.Some woods worse than others. Make a few cuts in dead and/or dry wood,cleans it right up.

Sap usually . . . by the way . . . might as well mention it before anyone else gets on your case . . . chainsaws don't have blades most of the time . . . usually they have chains. ;) :)

firefighterjake said:
Sap usually . . . by the way . . . might as well mention it before Bigg Redd gets on your case . . . chainsaws don't have blades most of the time . . . usually they have chains. ;) :)
There, I fixed it for you.

Ja +1, on tree juice AKA sap.

firefighterjake said:
Sap usually . . . by the way . . . might as well mention it before anyone else gets on your case . . . chainsaws don't have blades most of the time . . . usually they have chains. ;) :)

ah, pile on the new guy... yes, improper term used. i will go to time out now. :)

shoot-straight said:
i have been getting alot of brown colored residue on my chainsaw chains as of late. seems more prevalent when i cut wet/greener wood. oil is being pumped out, so i dont think its lack of that.

WTF is a chainsaw "blade"?

shoot-straight said:
...ah, pile on the new guy... yes, improper term used. i will go to time out now. :)

I fixed your title, shoot-straight. Sorry I didn't see it before the wise-asses got to the thread, but they have me seriously out-numbered, so it's hard to keep up. %-P Rick

Bigg_Redd said:
shoot-straight said:

Its what you use to scrape off that brown crap with.

BrotherBart said:
Bigg_Redd said:

This is. At this price it is too expensive to just call it a chain.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM1395296001P?prdNo=2&blockNo=27&blockType=G27

I've used those on remodeling & demo jobs before,perfect for enlarging or making new door/window openings in concrete walls w/ heavy gauge rebar.Also thick granite or limestone slabs,its like a hot knife through buttah.Pretty damn cool.Much better than gas or hydraulic cut-off saw with only 5" or 6" maximum depth of cut per pass.With correct length bar you can plunge cut in walls up to 16" thick,with NO kickback.Sure wish they had them 20+ yrs ago when I started out - then it was saw in 1/2 way both sides then use small air or electric chipping hammer to remove & clean up the remainder.Much slower & harder work.Not as 'clean' finished product either.

Attachments

• rocksaw.jpg
    rocksaw.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 453
shoot-straight said:
firefighterjake said:

ah, pile on the new guy... yes, improper term used. i will go to time out now. :)

You are forgiven my son . . . but first you must go cut half a cord of firewood, split a quarter cord of firewood and make at least one holz miete.

:)

By the way . . . in case no one mentioned it . . . welcome to hearth.com . . . where we're all half crazy and dysfunctional . . . probably due to the two stroke exhaust of the chainsaws. ;)

firefighterjake said:
shoot-straight said:
firefighterjake said:

You are forgiven my son . . . but first you must go cut half a cord of firewood, split a quarter cord of firewood and make at least one holz miete.

:)

By the way . . . in case no one mentioned it . . . welcome to hearth.com . . . where we're all half crazy and dysfunctional . . . probably due to the two stroke exhaust of the chainsaws. ;)

Yes, welcome & enjoy. Beware the 2 stroke fumes & CAD. Strange things start happening if you stay around long. A C

Status
Not open for further replies.