BS about splitters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanko

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2008
livingstion co, Michigan
you guys dont seem to talk to much about splitters. I assume that most have one. Whats everyone have. lets see some photos also. Me, I got one of those timberwolf jobs

Attachments

• TW_5.JPG
    TW_5.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 1,744
Hanko said:
you guys dont seem to talk to much about splitters. I assume that most have one. Whats everyone have. lets see some photos also. Me, I got one of those timberwolf jobs

The Gear room is where you beat your chest about stuff like this.Sweet looking splitter.

I'd say at least half of the members here have a splitter or rent one once or twice a year. The rest of us do it by hand either because we're cheap or we need the exercise.

Check out the gear room for splitter threads daily!

gotta yard Machine 31 Ton..love it. Buddy has the Timberwolf TW-5 with lift, he loves that!

Adirondackwoodburner said:
gotta yard Machine 31 Ton..love it. Buddy has the Timberwolf TW-5 with lift, he loves that!

31 tons :coolgrin: dam

Mines a 22 ton homemade one. I have to make everything at least once to prove to myself that I can do it, but its not worth the time and effort. Could have bought one for just a little more money. It is well built however. It splits everything I have ever put in it. My other is a 10 lb maul although im looking for a heavier one.

yeah, its an older one. Only has a 8hp Briggs one it. THey dont make that size anymore

johnnywarm said:
Adirondackwoodburner said:

31 tons :coolgrin: dam

HOLLY CRAP!! 31 ton! That would smash any thing I needed split here!

33 ton . It seems like you wouldnt need one that strong. Can you crosscut with it also if you sharpen the wedge? I would think it would crush right through

you dont, and its probably like the HP rating. My 31 ton maybe just like the 22 or 25 ton today.who knows

Adios Pantalones said:
"It seems like you wouldnt need one that strong. "

LOL- who said anything about "need"?
i have gotten the fuild so hot in my 27 ton, that you couldnt touch it. 33 ton sounds better

is fuild another way of saying the hyraulic piston. Will it overheat if you try to split difficult wood. Sometimes mine stops and I have to reposition the wood. will this overheat and ruin it?

I'm glad i never pissed one of you off :lol: not with what some of you are packing ;-)

ScottF said:
is fuild another way of saying the hyraulic piston. Will it overheat if you try to split difficult wood. Sometimes mine stops and I have to reposition the wood. will this overheat and ruin it?
Cant be good oil will burn at different flas points i try and let it rest awaile between fill ups now( and yes)to your question

Noah said:
My splitter, not sure the tonnage though.
573702059.jpg
BFH1MAN i belive

Noah said:
smokinj said:
Noah said:
573702059.jpg
BFH1MAN i belive

It seems like it starts to loose some power with the more wood it splits in a day.
i have about a cord that i cant get to with the splitter up to the wood i am trying to find the best hand held but i think they all take a lot of one man power

smokinj said:
Noah said:
smokinj said:
Noah said:
573702059.jpg
BFH1MAN i belive

It seems like it starts to loose some power with the more wood it splits in a day.
i have about a cord that i cant get to with the splitter up to the wood i am trying to find the best hand held but i think they all take a lot of one man power

Look at the one that all metal.heavy

Noah said:
573702059.jpg

There was a time I had a thinner one to cut down cedar and hauled the cut up logs for a cedar fence out of the swamp on my shoulder(s). (or on two shoulders with a helper)
Can imagine doing whole cords of wood (from fell to splits) with just axes and wedges.

billb3 said:
Noah said:
573702059.jpg

There was a time I had a thinner one to cut down cedar and hauled the cut up logs for a cedar fence out of the swamp on my shoulder(s). (or on two shoulders with a helper)
Can imagine doing whole cords of wood (from fell to splits) with just axes and wedges.
me neither but thers a fence at the bottom of the hill and the round are 30to35 in. didnt fell it with an ax used chainsaw for that

Status
Not open for further replies.