Buck Model 74 freestanding wood burning stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

new_wood

May 9, 2011
Lebanon, Ohio
One of the stoves I am considering when we do our addition is a Buck model 74 freestanding wood stove. Does anyone currently own a model 74 or any other Buck freestanding stove? If so, any likes, dislikes? We will be looking to heat a 1,800 sq ft area. One of my concerns is the firebox size which is 2.6 cubic ft..........seems smaller compared to other brands I have researched. We are looking to do more "round the clock" heating so this is really my only concern. We currently have a Buck insert that we are happy with but it is really old and too small. Thanks.

I bought a brand new Buck 94 in February with a massive 4.4 firebox,we had the coldest weather of the year in Feb in Northeast Ohio.The new 94 was by far the worst stove I've ever owned,2 quadrafire 5700,s the Buck and now a King Ultra. Getting back to the Buck it would not heat the area of 600sq. feet that it was in,much less the rest of the house,the first Quad was excellent but the sides cracked,and the second Quad wouldn't heat either.The Buck ate up the wood like it was paper and produced very little recognizable heat.Talking to the Buck factory is an exercise in utter futility.I would never own a Buck again. The Kings verdict is still out because winters over, and I've only burned it about six weeks,shut her down today, but from the little I've seen I think it will be fine. That's my take. good luck in whatever choice you make.

There seems to be quite a few happy owners of the Buck Model 91, which is a big cat stove, and the 74.They've been around for quite awhile, while the 94 is fairly new.

I run a little 21 and it runs out of our 3 br barely insulated home.

model 20 here, we heated our main floor and upstairs for years with it. approx 1300 sq, ft. you should be ok with the 74, its got a lot more heat output than our 20 and i think it can run without the fan on that model. the key is in the fuel and how you operate the stove from what we have found. good luck and theyres a lot of nice stoves out theyre.

Status
Not open for further replies.