Buck Model 81 Window Problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oactec

Jan 15, 2011
Knoxville, TN
We just purchased a Buck insert model 81 from our local dealer and it was installed in a masonry fireplace we have used for past 10 years. We have not had any draw problems before or after the insert install but the windows are never clean enough to see the fire at all. I understand that the side windows are usually not clean but we are wanting to see the fire in the front. The installers used a block off for the flu but not a direct connect to the top of the chimney. We are using only seasoned oak that may have a little moisture from sitting outside but there is little to no sizzling from the moisture. I have cleaned the window several times and within 24 hours, left 1/2 of the window is blacked out and by 48 hrs can't see through at all. I have tried running draft wide open all nite as well as 30% open and nothing seems to help. We were told this would not be a problem and have not talked to the dealer yet about it.

Is anyone else having this problem or is there something we can do to correct this problem? I would appreciate any possible help.

Welcome. Sounds like the fire needs to be hotter. Hard to say if this is the wood or poor draft. It may be a combination of both. Oak needs extra seasoning time, at least 2 yrs.. Do you know the dimension of the tiles your chimney? How tall is it and is this an interior or exterior chimney?

I think the oak is only 1 year seasoned but the fire seems to burn fine with the draft fully opened (all wood glows red with a lot of flames). The chimney is a double 14 ft flu from the same fireplace which is unusual. Each tile opening is 12x12 and the chimney is on an interior wall.

Thanks for the reply.

In this circumstance, the stove needs a full liner to achieve decent draft. You should only be able to run it with the air wide open at startup. It's designed for a 6" flue (28 sq in), but dumping into a short 144 sq in. flue pipe. That is slowing down the flue gases a lot and making the stove underachieve. This is exacerbated by a modest flue height. Have a good, full stainless liner put in and you will think you have a totally different stove.

Hi oactec. I also own a Buck 81 insert. Our front window stays clear, except for a small strip on the left side of the glass. I regularly check moisture content of wood- wood checks out at 16 to 19%. I also have an insulated, stainless steel liner. I think one reason left side is prone to clouding up is the ash tray is on the left side of the stove, so that part of the stove burns a little cooler. This is the only part of the bottom of the stove without firebricks. You may want to check your moisture level and try burning hot fires, particularly on start-up. hope this is some help- good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.