Buckskin Birch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birch Boy

Feb 10, 2009
Just this side of Siberia
n
I feel a lot better about next winter now that we got delivery of next years birch. The trucker waited till the last possible day. He told me they shut the logging road down for break up right as these two trucks got down outta the hills. Some of the wood is a bit dirty where the tires splashed mud but he threw those logs off to the side of the pile. This wood is a bit fancier then I need for the outside stoves but was the same price as the tops we some times get. I'll be bucking and splitting about 6 cords of this pile for the fireplace the rest will get bucked and thrown into the outside stoves as needed.
Things went nicely this week. Sold a green broke, home bred buckskin gelding that offset the price of the wood. If I can sell the hay he won't be eating I may break even. Simple hillbilly economics...................Be nice if it worked like that all the time.

Attachments

• DSC04131.JPG
    DSC04131.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 271
  • DSC04132.JPG
    DSC04132.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 291
  • DSC04141.JPG
    DSC04141.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 298
  • DSC04156.JPG
    DSC04156.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 292
I love Birch too! It's on my list just behind Oak and Hickory. That's quite a pile you got there, enjoy the work and the heat.
Rich

Wow that's a huge amount of wood you have there! How many cords do you estimate you have there?

Ray

One good thing is there isn't much limbing to do on those logs. Makes for fast work. Get that saw sharpened now and go to work!

raybonz said:
Wow that's a huge amount of wood you have there! How many cords do you estimate you have there?

Ray
The pile should be 30 cords, at least that is what I got charged for. Nice straight wood in 8 foot logs makes for few holes between the logs and an honest load.
Some years they haul crooked 16 footers with lots of space between the logs and still charge for a full truck load. We just grin and bare it, most guys in the bush do the best they can so I don't like to make a big fuss, it all averages out over time. This year the wood is fancy, straight grained and the perfect size for the regular price so we are ahead of the game. ;-)

That is just so damn beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies.