Buddy goes home.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary_602z

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2009
Lake Odessa,MI
So Sat.afternoon I am heading home and passed a dog alongside a dirt road covered with mud and shivering. So I stopped to check him out,no tags but he was well groomed and seemed well fed. I pick him up and drive around for about an hour and a half knocking on doors with no luck. So i take him home and cleaned him up in the tub. He got along well with our 3 dogs with a lot of butt sniffing going on.

I made up a bunch of fliers and hit the road Sunday morning and about an hour later I found his home. It was on a dead end dirt road that was about 1-1/2 miles from where I found him. He probably would not have made it thru the night because of all the coyotes we have around here. His name was Rudy but I renamed him Buddy and come to find out he had a brother named Buddy. Know wonder he looked at me funny!

Gary

I am the one with the glasses! :lol:

Attachments

• Rudy3.jpg
    Rudy3.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 407
Nice job on getting Rudy back home.

zap

Excellent job !!

When I can't find their homes, I usually end up keeping them :)

Poor little guy !! Bet he was a happy camper !

I bet his people were happy campers, too. I've had my dog wander a few times (looking for me), but no one who returned her ever bothered to bathe her first. Nice touch, that.

Twice in my life (as I recall), I've been able to reunite strays with their owners. It's a really nice feeling. And twice in my life (as I recall), other good samaritans have done the same for me. Both times our dog was identified and we were contacted and retrieved her (same dog...no tolerance whatever for fireworks, thunder, or other loud noises), my wife and I fixed up a "thank you basket" full of snacks & goodies and whatnot and delivered it to the folks who got us back together with our dog. Your persistence is admirable. Bravo Zulu on a humanitarian mission accomplished. Rick

It was meant to be- you have the same mustache. Good job!

I have an irresponsible neighbor 1/4 mile away whose 2 friendly labs show up in my yard trying to eat my compost. I go play with them (they're invariably wet from playing in the swamp), load them in the car and bring them back. They leave the side door unlocked and I put them back. My wife finally threatened to call animal control on this flake lady, but we'd never do it. I hope it got her attention.

What a great story. Brought a tear to my eye! You rock, Gary!!
BTW, my cat's name is Buddy, too.

Nice work. I bet his owners were thrilled. Hope they invited you to stay for brunch or something.

fossil said:
Twice in my life (as I recall), I've been able to reunite strays with their owners. It's a really nice feeling. And twice in my life (as I recall), other good samaritans have done the same for me. Both times our dog was identified and we were contacted and retrieved her (same dog...no tolerance whatever for fireworks, thunder, or other loud noises), my wife and I fixed up a "thank you basket" full of snacks & goodies and whatnot and delivered it to the folks who got us back together with our dog. Your persistence is admirable. Bravo Zulu on a humanitarian mission accomplished. Rick

It should be a great feeling but I get this sinking feeling when the dog hears his owner at the door and runs off to hide in the furthest corner of my house. Glad it all worked out for Buddy/Rudy!

You sir, are a great person. The little lad is no doubt glad to be home. Good Karma will be coming your way.

How people treat animals . . . their own and others . . . says a lot about a person's character.

Kudos to you Gary.

rottiman said:
Good Karma will be coming your way.

Funny that you would say that! Today I was waiting to get a haircut and the guy behind me seemed anxious, so when it came my turn I told him he could go as I was in no hurry. When he got done and it was my turn I found out he had paid for my haircut!

I am thinking about doing this when I go into the bank to make a mortgage payment! :)

Seriously, I now have to think about paying this forward.

Gary

Gary_602z said:
rottiman said:

Funny that you would say that! Today I was waiting to get a haircut and the guy behind me seemed anxious, so when it came my turn I told him he could go as I was in no hurry. When he got done and it was my turn I found out he had paid for my haircut!

I am thinking about doing this when I go into the bank to make a mortgage payment! :)

Seriously, I now have to think about paying this forward.

Gary

Doing this can be a lot of fun . . . once in a while when I pick up my pizza or dinner at the local pizza place I'll ask the owner if I can pay for one of their take out orders that they're working on . . . most of the time it's less than $10 or $15 . . . and I figure it will probably make someone's day.

Gary-Thanks for taking all that time with the little fellow.
Adios Pantalones: My neighbors' (24 acres away) dogs used to come and sit outside my SGD and stare at my dog-drove him crazy. Never let my dog out, went outside and told the dogs they were bad and shoo-ed them home. (May not be viable for you if busy roads), Sister had a Wheaten that wandered...she was sweet so everyone made her at home...played with her, fed her, let her in their homes. Made it impossible to train this naturally gregarious dog to stay home...she felt home everywhere. We told our neighbors we didn't want them to welcome her...didn't make any difference, they always did. Have to be gruff with a wandering dog, when you know they are fine and "just visiting". Otherwise you reinforce their behavior.

rideau said:
Gary-Thanks for taking all that time with the little fellow.
Adios Pantalones: My neighbors' (24 acres away) dogs used to come and sit outside my SGD and stare at my dog-drove him crazy. Never let my dog out, went outside and told the dogs they were bad and shoo-ed them home. (May not be viable for you if busy roads), Sister had a Wheaten that wandered...she was sweet so everyone made her at home...played with her, fed her, let her in their homes. Made it impossible to train this naturally gregarious dog to stay home...she felt home everywhere. We told our neighbors we didn't want them to welcome her...didn't make any difference, they always did. Have to be gruff with a wandering dog, when you know they are fine and "just visiting". Otherwise you reinforce their behavior.

I hear what you're saying and it's good advice, but they never seem to wander home (even when I'm not involved). I'm definitely not the only place they go. The owner has been over frantically searching before and I hadn't see them. These are supposed to be on electronic leash- but someone turns it off or lets them out without collars.

Well done Gary!

My neighbor has a large chocolate lab w/ no tags who is a wonderful dog. I was about 3/4 of a mile from home when a large chocolate lab w/ no tags ran out in front of the truck. I was very glad no traffic was coming which gave me a chance to avoid him. I stopped the truck in the road, yelled at him using my neighbor's dog's name, it looked up at me and it responded when I told it to get in the truck so I could take his lucky butt home.

I proceeded to drive it to my neighbor's house, knocked on their door, and was quite embarassed when the wife and their chocolate lab met me at the door :shut:

Luckily they knew who it belonged to and was able to take it back home. Certainly ended well but I felt like an idiot.

pen

Gary_602z said:
rottiman said:

And they say nice guys finish last! Cool story and I'm glad buddy went home. If we lost our dog, I sure hope someone like you finds her! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.