Buggy wood:: Trash it or Salvage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

morglum_s

Apr 12, 2011
Portland, OR
I got a load of what I think is Fir, but many of the pieces look pretty bug eaten/rotten. The exterior of the logs are have lots of small holes and are very crumbly for lack of a better description. I split one open, and there is some decent wood inside, but I also saw a live termite.

We live in the city on a small lot, so there is really no place to stack my wood well away from structures. I am tempted to junk the whole lot (about 1/4-1/3 of cord.) Any suggestions?

-Morgan

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 327
  • photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 327
Every wood burner is required to have a fire pit. A little weekend BBQ, and it will be gone.

KC

That little bit aint worth it the way I see it even if it were pest free. Toss it and move on.

I don't mind bugs or bug damage, but that wood is rotten and won't really have the heat that solid wood should have. Trash it.

For me that would be wood for my fire pit . . . I might save some for burning in the shoulder season . . . if space is limited as you say I would toss it.

Wood and beasties are gone. Hope none stayed over their 2 day layover in my driveway....

I will pay much closer attention next time!

-M

I agree, that wood is too far gone.

If you have other options, use them! Trash it.............

Status
Not open for further replies.