Builders or Contractors near Braintree MA?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 21, 2006
North of Boston
Since this forum seems heavily weighted towards the NE crowd I figure I'd ask this question here. I have a friend in the process of buying a house in Braintree. The home inspection turned up some interesting tidbits, and he is trying to find a contractor to give him an estimate on the work so he can go back and negotiate some cost off of the purchase price...

Any contacts you could suggest in that area? ( Don - I'm guessing this is outside of your normal travel radius?)

The work would involve installing an additional support column in the basement. I haven't seen the place yet, but I assume a hole would need to be cut in the poured floor and a footing added? Similarly, there seems to be a problem with the supports for the front porch - the existing footings are concrete encapsulated in rusting steel. The home inspector believed that they were losing their integrity and would need to be replaced. I guess my friend would be looking for a footing/concrete guy?

Knowing how busy my friend is with his day job, I would expect that the contractor really would get the work, this isn't just a fishing expedition for a quote...

Appreciate any info - my buddy will to!

-Dan

there are adjustiable lally post that can be added The first thing to determine is how good the existing concrete slab is.
I would use a hammer drill to determine its thickness. How old is the home?

The front might pose more of a problem if the lallies are inbeaded in the footings . Temporary support would have to be constructed
to remove each defective lally The problem is cutting them flush to be able to re use the footing again.
It can be done but a real pain in the ***

Today with the small pk truck that town is not out of my range providing it is worth while to do it It is not worthwhile to do a 3 hour job In this case it would take days cutting in and pouring a new footing The cement has to set before ; placement of the new lally

Status
Not open for further replies.