Building a Pellet Stove Chase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrib

Feb 9, 2009
NW Indiana
Hey all.

Have a new construction home going up and will be putting in a Harman P68 in the corner of a room. I want to be able to "hide" the pellet pipe on the outside, chase it in.

I like my Harman dealer, but I don't really feel "good" about the feedback he's giving my builder. So figured I'd ask here. The back of the house will be cement board.

What I want:

- Hide the pellet pipe in a chase
- Have access to the cleanout on the outside; have a door on the bottom (?) of the chase
- Have a cold air intake for the stove

What we've been told is to frame the chase, 24" wide, 16" deep and 6' tall. The dealer is concerned that the drywall and floor isn't in yet, so they don't know where to set the wall thimble to the outside.

Here are my questions, that I haven't been able to get a good answer on.

1) Is it logical to build an access door on the BOTTOM of the chase to get at the clean out? If so, what's the best way to put in such an access door?
2) Since I want to chase in the pellet pipe, what is going to be my best way to get cold air to the stove? I can't use the Harman all-in-one because the cold air will be coming from inside the chase.
3) Has anyone here done a pellet pipe chase and how did you do it!???!!??? :)

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.