Building a wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dali Lima

Oct 22, 2007
Central Connecticut
I'll be building a shed this spring, attached to my "real" shed. Any suggestions or words of advice before I start drawing up my plans?

Measure twice, saw once.

Once you decide how big to make it.......double it

No one ever complains about having too much firewood in their woodshed . . . just saying Varna's suggestion isn't a bad one. I personally like the feeling of a full woodshed and realizing that I have at least two years of seasoned wood under cover . . . so when the next Ice Age hits Maine I'll be OK . . . unless the Ice Age lasts more than two years.

varna said:
Once you decide how big to make it.......double it
+1 !!!!

One big issue to consider:

Do you plan to season your wood PRIOR to putting in the shed or is it going directly in the shed after being split?

I only ask b/c i'm considering a similar build but my wood will be likely deposited directly into the shed after being cut/split so I'm looking at a free standing unit (away from the house) with very good ventilation and air flow. In addition, plan on keeping the stacks relatively spaced out so wood dries out. Or, my alternative is to figure out a good place to stack wood out in the open in my yard and move to the shed once it's properly seasoned.

Good luck!

If I had to do over, I'd make it a bit bigger. Mine will conceivably hold about 8 cord, but realistically.....not so much.
Design it, then make it bigger, if you have the room. 2 years in the shed would be nice.

mine would have skids so as to avoid back yard structure taxes

Build one like my avatar but as stated in other posts, double or triple the size

WOW us CT guys seem to be on the same page here. it's my second year at this house and I'm cleaning out behind my small shed to do the same thing. I'm going to leave open the sides and just have a sloped roof to cover the wood it's not going to be huge because of the small shed is has to be behind but it will hold more then enough wood for me i'm sure

Attachments

• 100_5034.jpg
    100_5034.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 553
Exmasonite said:

Do you plan to season your wood PRIOR to putting in the shed or is it going directly in the shed after being split?

I only ask b/c i'm considering a similar build but my wood will be likely deposited directly into the shed after being cut/split so I'm looking at a free standing unit (away from the house) with very good ventilation and air flow. In addition, plan on keeping the stacks relatively spaced out so wood dries out. Or, my alternative is to figure out a good place to stack wood out in the open in my yard and move to the shed once it's properly seasoned.

Good luck!

If you cut/split and go straight to the shed add another 1 yr seasoning time to it, compared to single row out in open. Have some I went streight to shed with and I may move it out this summer to season, been in shed over a yr.

Attachments

• SDC10039.jpg
    SDC10039.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 525
Placement of a shed seems to be key. I would want it close to the house for winter access but not so close that you have to worry about bugs getting to the house. As they say in real estate, location, location, location. I have not quite figured one out for me yet. I am going to build a Pole Barn this summer for the equipment and storage. I could attach a wood shed but it will be too far from the house. Currently only store about a cord in a wood rack I built right by the house I reload a few times. Much of the other wood is a short walk and under rubber roofing. I found some telephone poles that are on my property that must have been in the woods for over 50 years. They still look great and I am eyeing them up for a future wood shed, once I determine location, location.

Save yourself the effort- buy some 3' wide rolls of poly and spread it down the length on top of your rows- provides more than enough protection and allows a lot of air to get through your stacks.

Remkel said:
Save yourself the effort- buy some 3' wide rolls of poly and spread it down the length on top of your rows- provides more than enough protection and allows a lot of air to get through your stacks.

That doesn't work so well when you have 36" of snow on top.

Thanks everyone... yes, CT is in shed build mode. I had to dig out my wood all winter and it sucked!!! I am planning on building a roof off the side of my barn with 3 or 4 posts on either end for stacking. The idea is to stack and store here, with decent air flow for drying. I thinking I'm going to look at some possible places to store the wood outside for general seasoning, and try to use this covered area for this year's burning. I expect that it will hold close to 2 chord.

The barn looks like this:

lance34.jpg

I'll be putting a roof off the side.

CPTONELEG,

I'm also in the process of deciding what kind of shed to build. I really like yours and would appreciate it if you could post its dimensions. Thanks much!

cptoneleg said:
Exmasonite said:

Good luck!

If you cut/split and go straight to the shed add another 1 yr seasoning time to it, compared to single row out in open. Have some I went streight to shed with and I may move it out this summer to season, been in shed over a yr.

While your sides allow air flow, they do not allow enough.

The Dali Lima said:
Remkel said:

That doesn't work so well when you have 36" of snow on top.

Thanks everyone... yes, CT is in shed build mode. I had to dig out my wood all winter and it sucked!!! I am planning on building a roof off the side of my barn with 3 or 4 posts on either end for stacking. The idea is to stack and store here, with decent air flow for drying. I thinking I'm going to look at some possible places to store the wood outside for general seasoning, and try to use this covered area for this year's burning. I expect that it will hold close to 2 chord.

The barn looks like this:

lance34.jpg

I'll be putting a roof off the side.

that is why the good Lord gave us snowblowers! i can appreciate the overhang, believe me, but being restricted on space, I go old school with the poly. I work off the farthest piles first so when the big snow comes, it is closer to the house.

Sierra Guy said:
CPTONELEG,

I'm also in the process of deciding what kind of shed to build. I really like yours and would appreciate it if you could post its dimensions. Thanks much!

The dimensions are 8'w x 16' l 8' to 6' slope I just dug around on this site came up with this, there are many nice looking sheds on this site. I don't know how to send you to the site, but it was posted back in august 26, 2010; The pictures of building it on post page 50 ( New Wood Shed) of The Wood Shed- but there are many. good luck. :zip:

CTwoodburner said:
cptoneleg said:
Exmasonite said:

Good luck!

While your sides allow air flow, they do not allow enough.

I just had to put a cord or so in it when it was brand new- from now on I will season outside move to shed late Sept; thanks :zip:

Status
Not open for further replies.