building with firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dennis and Zap may just have enough to get busy on one of these. Didn't you say you were wanting to build a cabin Zap ?

That's really cool! Thanks for sharing that article.

I remember reading some articles on this on I was a kid. I thought it was a really cool building method, and still do. I had forgotten about it until now. Thanks.

If I were to build a straw-bale house, or a monolithic dome, I would skin it in cordwood and mortar. I'd use type 'S' for strength & weather durability. Not only is it durable, structurally strong, sound tight & weather tight, it's just plain beautiful to gaze upon.

What wood would weather the best?

If I were to build a straw-bale house, or a monolithic dome, I would skin it in cordwood and mortar. I'd use type 'S' for strength & weather durability. Not only is it durable, structurally strong, sound tight & weather tight, it's just plain beautiful to gaze upon.

What wood would weather the best?

How about cedar? Keep the bugs at bay and smells great. Seems just about any wood will shrink a bit as it dries so I wonder how they handle that - must not build with fresh cut pieces or I'd expect to see a lot more cracks/gaps around the logs in there. I like the idea of a straw-bale house with the wood/mortar skin. I imagine that could make for one very energy efficient shell.

How about cedar? Keep the bugs at bay and smells great. Seems just about any wood will shrink a bit as it dries so I wonder how they handle that - must not build with fresh cut pieces or I'd expect to see a lot more cracks/gaps around the logs in there. I like the idea of a straw-bale house with the wood/mortar skin. I imagine that could make for one very energy efficient shell.
Absolutely! but what a large footprint. Yeah, I thought about the cedar after I posted. I guess it is necessary to have the rounds or splits dried out. So much for making a shed this fall.

They cut, debark and season one year, I think they mentioned cedar as the best with white pine and another softwood being second best.

Dennis and Zap may just have enough to get busy on one of these. Didn't you say you were wanting to build a cabin Zap ?

I have actually entertained the idea of doing a shed just like this and if it turned out okay would probably do more. It just won't happen for a while yet if ever.

btw, there used to be a hotel in northern MI that was built similar to this except they used bottles rather than wood. Sad to say it is now only in our memories.

WOW!
Very nice.
Problem for me would be, as I pulled the wood out of the walls to put in the stove,
I'd have a tough time finding the right size piece next summer to plug the holes. ::P

Status
Not open for further replies.