building wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I built in my backyard. 20' wide x 10' deep x 7.5' tall.

Attachments

• DSC04476.jpg
    DSC04476.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,301
  • DSC04873.jpg
    DSC04873.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 1,326
  • DSC04876.jpg
    DSC04876.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,304
I upsized mine the other day. Used a Cedar tree I cut down for the posts and some old and new lumber I had around. I built it around the existing pile so that was kind of a pain but I think I almost tripled the volume. It's not quite done yet I still have some things to do. I was thinking about putting some tobacco barn like sides on but I may just get some canvas I can roll up if I want to. Last picture is the old one. Good Luck

Attachments

• photo-7.jpg
    photo-7.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 1,242
  • photo-6.jpg
    photo-6.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 1,222
  • photo-5.jpg
    photo-5.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 1,220
jlow said:
This is what I built in my backyard. 20' wide x 10' deep x 7.5' tall.

Jlow, what did you use for a floor?

Pallets laying on weed block material over grass.

Here's an evening shot of ours.

Attachments

• wood-shed.jpg
    wood-shed.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,200
All those buildings are real nice but if I had one of that type last winter in Iowa it would have been full of snow.

Mine is not much different from the others already posted, but here ya go.

Attachments

• IMG_0971.jpg
    IMG_0971.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,032
  • IMG_0970.jpg
    IMG_0970.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,022
Superlite said:
I upsized mine the other day. Used a Cedar tree I cut down for the posts and some old and new lumber I had around. I built it around the existing pile so that was kind of a pain but I think I almost tripled the volume. It's not quite done yet I still have some things to do. I was thinking about putting some tobacco barn like sides on but I may just get some canvas I can roll up if I want to. Good Luck

Nice shelter I like the log posts.. Strong and inexpensive too..

Ray

BeGreen said:
Here's an evening shot of ours.

Good looking shelter I like the lattice on the sides dresses it up a bit..

Ray

schortie said:

Good job on that shelter! With the sides like that do you also use tarps to keep snow out in winter?

Ray

schortie, i like the front half wall i was thinking of this yesterday as i was stacking wood in my new shed for the first time. i think i will add one to mine as i think it will give me more stacking options when seperating fresh wood from seasoned wood. rather than piling new in front of old. i may also add more side boards so there's less space for splits to slip through. thanks for the idea!

Attachments

• DSCF3392.jpg
    DSCF3392.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 913
  • DSCF3390.jpg
    DSCF3390.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 895
My shed is 10' x 20' on a concrete slab but I'm not going to post a pic cuz if I had a do-over, I would build it twice as long, half as deep, and not as tall. The challenge with the way mine is built is rotating inventory and the tall stacks are tedious to build and keep plumb.

LLigetfa said:
My shed is 10' x 20' on a concrete slab but I'm not going to post a pic cuz if I had a do-over, I would build it twice as long, half as deep, and not as tall. The challenge with the way mine is built is rotating inventory and the tall stacks are tedious to build and keep plumb.
That's good info to pass along.

Some nice looking sheds posted on this thread.

I tell you, building my wood shed has sure made life a lot easier. Stacking outside and covering with tarps and such is for the birds. Especially on my small lot.

Summer
almostfull.JPG

Winter
snowshed.JPG

i would agree with LL if i were to re-do mine i would make it longer and narrower and not as high as well. oh well it will do for now.

benjamin said:
Does it go without saying that it should face south?

Mine faces east and gets good sun a good part of the day and the wind tends to blow in from the east..

Ray

raybonz said:
schortie said:

Good job on that shelter! With the sides like that do you also use tarps to keep snow out in winter?

Ray

We didn't have a problem with snow in the shed. A dusting would come with stronger wind, but after knocking the splits together it was gone. This was our first season with the shed, and we were surprised that we didn't get more snow in it. It was great not having to deal with tarps or cramped space and wood mess in the garage.

Thank you all for the pictures and info.
My way of building is a lot more basic.
I hope to get a woodshed built this year but it will all be built from what is laying around here.
I have 5'4" X 12'4" shipping pallets that weigh 250 pounds each.
The shed will be built from them.
The shed will be covered with door slabs.
I have used steel roofing that will cover the roof.
This shed will be right outside the walkout basement door and will be to stack dry wood in.

benjamin said:
Does it go without saying that it should face south?

Mine faces south . . . but to be honest it just kind of worked out that way since I was building the foundation partly on some cement pilings from an old swingset (a very large swingset) and the open side of the shed faces the house . . . and south.

Carbon_Liberator said:
I tell you, building my wood shed has sure made life a lot easier. Stacking outside and covering with tarps and such is for the birds. Especially on my small lot.

Summer
almostfull.JPG

Winter
snowshed.JPG

Carbon_Liberator just post a picture of his wood shed every now & then to make us drool.
This year I'll start mine but gonna be difficult to be as nice as CL's.

Status
Not open for further replies.