Burn differences

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tutomut

Dec 14, 2010
Worc., MA
Hi everyone,
What would be the difference in the burn running a 3" liner compared to a 4". I am running a 3"x15' flex liner w/ T . No real bends, topped it w/ 3' rigid pipe connected to the cap. Now I'm being told that I should have used a 4". Is there a real diff. in the burn?
Any thoughts? My stove is a Kozi Bay win. insert.

Moving to the pellet forum, which I am assuming where it was meant to be posted?

tutomut said:
Hi everyone,
What would be the difference in the burn running a 3" liner compared to a 4". I am running a 3"x15' flex liner w/ T . No real bends, topped it w/ 3' rigid pipe connected to the cap. Now I'm being told that I should have used a 4". Is there a real diff. in the burn?
Any thoughts? My stove is a Kozi Bay win. insert.

What does the book say in the venting instructions about the maximum EVL (equivalent vent length) when using 3" pipe. It is normally 15 and is calculated using the following table:

90 degree elbows and Tee = 5 EVL
45 degree elbow = 2.5 EVL
1 foot vertical = 0.5 EVL
1 foot horizontal = 1 EVL

Add'em up.

My EVL is 14. 9 on the verticle and 5 on the Tee. The book says anything over a EVL of 15 to use 4", so I guess I'm fine.
Wasn't sure who to listen to , the manual or the guys at the local stove place. They said anything over a 15' run needs to be 4". They never mentioned EVL.
thanks

It is EVL provided the book says EVL .

The install manual is controlling.

The difference can be night and day in the burns, if you exceed the recommended EVL for 3" and then switch it to 4" it can mean being able to actually enjoy the stove instead of cussing it out because of the blackened glass, pellet pileups, and other nasty things.

There is also a maximum recommended EVL for 4" piping.

I'm aware of several tables that differ slightly on the values to use for the various elbows. What a lot of folks don't realize there is also a difference depending upon if an elbow is installed in an upright or laying down configuration.

The book does say EVL. Not the total lenght of pipe. I'm not getting a bad burn(so I think, still new to the pellet stove world ) Just having a little problem dialing it in. It could be just the pellets I'm burning. Trying different brands to see what burns better, then this issue came up.

Status
Not open for further replies.