Burn times question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigjim13

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2009
Central Vermont
I started the season with 2 tons of Vermont Wood pellets, they are very good as many-myself included- have spoken about. After going through those 2 tons and needing more as I knew I would, I found a decent price on some NOrthern Bear Necessities (made by Lauzon and have the black bear on the bag) hardwood pellets. The heat output I would say is about the same but they don't seem to burn as fast as the Vermont's did. Is this due to a difference in hardwood vs. softwood? Have others noticed this when going from softwood pellets to hardwood? FWIW its been cold here as it has in a lot of places and I have had the stove on at least the 4 setting in stove temp mode (Harman P61A). It just seems to be burning less pellets to get the same temps.

Not trying to bash either brand here either, for equal prices I would gladly burn either of these brands.

Those are Cubex pellets and are quite dense. They likely also have a lower water content. They will burn slower than a lot of pellets of either blend, hardwood, or softwood when a stove is operated by purely a temperature based system.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Those are Cubex pellets and are quite dense. They likely also have a lower water content. They will burn slower than a lot of pellets of either blend, hardwood, or softwood when a stove is operated by purely a temperature based system.

Interesting, I thought it may have something to do with the density but wasn't sure. If that is the case, why don't pellet makers make their pellets as dense as possible? Does it cost more or use more raw material?

FWIW, the Vermont Wood Pellets here in Vermont can be picked up for $236.50 while the NOrtherns can be had for $235/ton picked up. I am finding that I like both of these pellets quite a bit and since the Home Depot here only stocks Freedom Fuel for $187/ton I would rather burn one of these brands. Seems like quite a steal, I loaded up the hopper last night and am still on that bag of pellets and it was down around 0*F last night, I am quite impressed with this. I fully expected to be putting another bag in this morning.

A lot of pellets are dense, the thing about the Cubex is they are rather dry as well.

Making a pellet dense doesn't use more material, it just takes more work to get the process down.

Some stoves can have problems burning a dense pellet mainly because folks tend to not adjust their stove to match the fuel or don't really have a means to make the adjustments.

I bought 4 ton of Cubex this past summer and will likely pick up some more to balance out my stash. How much more depends upon what I have left in another month. If things go right I've got next seasons supply already and a start on the following season.

Out of the 3 brands of pellets I have tried, I have never able to get more than 1 bag into my "55 LB" hopper and even then the lid barely closes.

All i burn is Cubex, i have not tried anything else , as these where recommended by a couple friends and have pellet stoves.We pay much more in Canada, 5.49 a bag, over 300.00 a ton, with th 13% taxes we have too pay.

Checkthisout said:
Out of the 3 brands of pellets I have tried, I have never able to get more than 1 bag into my "55 LB" hopper and even then the lid barely closes.

You are obviously not using The Proper Pellet {tm}, The Proper Pellet weighs 55 pounds per cubic inch, with it your hopper can hold well over a ton.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Checkthisout said:

You are obviously not using The Proper Pellet {tm}, The Proper Pellet weighs 55 pounds per cubic inch, with it your hopper can hold well over a ton.

Wha?

Checkthisout said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Checkthisout said:

Wha?

They are made out of heartwood of the unobtainium tree, the densest wood known in the universe.

It goes like this Checkthisout, those hoppers hold a certain volume of pellets and unless the pellet you burn is dense enough it is unlikely that it holds even close to 55 pounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.