Burning a fire now to cure furnace cement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Galesville

Feb 25, 2019
Galesville, MD
We just installed a new wood stove insert and used furnace cement to seal the flue pipe to the register plate and the joints where the stove pipe meets the stove.
Now we need to cure it for at least an hour at 500 degrees. Except for the obvious problem with having it be hot in the house in the summer...will need to open the windows, etc.
Will we have a problem burning a fire this time of year?

Last edited:
It might draft funny.

I used Hi Temp silicone for the joints on my wood boiler. A thin bead flattened with my finger tip.

Go for it, get'er done. A few small fires that go up and down. But 500 for an hour, measured at the stove is an extreme curing fire. Is that what they recommended for a first fire?

Last edited:
The cement manufacturer, Rutland, requires curing within 30 days at 500 degrees for one hour

What about a brand new stove built in the Summer that's not fired for the first time for months? Does that mean the cement was not cured properly??

Last edited:
What about a brand new stove built in the Summer that's not fired for the first time for months? Does that mean the cement was not cured properly??
fire_man
I don't know what the manufacturers use so I can only assume they do whatever it takes to cure or they use a product that doesn't need curing. I don't think our stove is made with furnace cement. It's PE Super insert

Once you get it going it should do ok. I'd preheat the flue with a torch and open all the windows.

One thing to watch out for is draft reversal after the fire dies out. Possible CO hazard there, but if the windows are open I wouldn't call it a big deal.

Once you get it going it should do ok. I'd preheat the flue with a torch and open all the windows.

One thing to watch out for is draft reversal after the fire dies out. Possible CO hazard there, but if the windows are open I wouldn't call it a big deal.

Thanks for your advice.