Burning aluminum cans...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott2373

Nov 9, 2011
Williamson, New York
I was on the hunt today for a "toss-in" creosote preventative when I discovered that the active ingredient in one was copper. This got me thinking...can I burn a copper tube and will it do the same thing? I Googled this query to find that one web blogger recommends burning an aluminum can once a month...has anyone ever heard of this one? I've burned many an aluminum can in our numerous campfires so I do know they can be incinerated in a hot enough fire, heck, we've melted glass beer bottles down flat. In a wood stove they should burn very well and much faster considering the higher temperatures.

Do a search. That old dog gets a whipping here three or four times every season.

I think that might be a bit like chewing up some flour and water and thinking you made bread without baking.

Eye Roll

well heck finally something to do with all them empties!

thanks for the idea man!

Nah . . . you wanna throw in some potato peelings as potato peelings work much better. ;)

This public service announcement brought to you by the Maine Potato Board. ;)

firefighterjake said:
Nah . . . you wanna throw in some potato peelings as potato peelings work much better. ;)

SOoo... The implication of your post is ONLY Maine potato peelings are good for this..?

I am worried you and the Maine Potato Board maybe in cahoots, and the alleged "Scott2373" is a shill account.. created by you and your cronies at the MPB, to try to drum up business..

I know how you govt types try to manipulate the masses..

LOL.

bluedogz said:
I think that might be a bit like chewing up some flour and water and thinking you made bread without baking.

I find myself looking for something like this to tell people with chemistry questions (like the copper pipe Q) and you just killed it. Excellent.

I usually make chili references

As far as I could determine, Aluminum releases 13000 Btu's per pound when burned.

Remember the solid rocket booster on either side of the space shuttle when it takes off? The oxidizer in these things is ammonium perchlorate and the main fuel is powdered aluminum.

The same goes for firecrackers of all sizes - potassium perchlorate oxidizer and powdered aluminum fuel.

As soon as pure Aluminum is exposed to air it "burns" ever so slightly on the surface to form a very tough clear aluminum oxide skin which cuts off the air to prevent further burning. However, if you get the aluminum hot enough like when you throw a beer can in a hot fire you can defeat this skin and the rest of the can will burn.

I'm still trying to figure out whether those toss-in things do any good.

heatxchanger said:
As far as I could determine, Aluminum releases 13000 Btu's per pound when burned.

Remember the solid rocket booster on either side of the space shuttle when it takes off? The oxidizer in these things is ammonium perchlorate and the main fuel is powdered aluminum.

The same goes for firecrackers of all sizes - potassium perchlorate oxidizer and powdered aluminum fuel.

As soon as pure Aluminum is exposed to air it "burns" ever so slightly on the surface to form a very tough clear aluminum oxide skin which cuts off the air to prevent further burning. However, if you get the aluminum hot enough like when you throw a beer can in a hot fire you can defeat this skin and the rest of the can will burn.
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, you have just told them how to make flash powder.

Dakotas Dad said:
firefighterjake said:

SOoo... The implication of your post is ONLY Maine potato peelings are good for this..?

I am worried you and the Maine Potato Board maybe in cahoots, and the alleged "Scott2373" is a shill account.. created by you and your cronies at the MPB, to try to drum up business..

I know how you govt types try to manipulate the masses..

LOL.

Idaho potatoes may also work . . . but I don't have any experience with them. ;)

Like most if not all of the "chemical" solutions, this method (in my humble opinion) is not a preventive measure. The various chemical compounds used in the battle against creosote are designed to turn hardened or "glaze" creosote into something far, far easier to brush. So using aluminum cans, fairy dust, etc., will not prevent creosote deposits from forming. The only preventive measures I am aware of are 1.) dry wood and 2.) proper burning habits. That's not to say that the chemical additives don't have their place - they do! But they are more of an after-the-fact solution to help make already existing creosote easier to remove with a brush.

However, if you were to cut the top off a 24oz Bud can, then fill it with Irish potato peelings dusted with Anti-Creo-Soot (TM)....then you'd be on to something!

OK I will take a run at this, I googled it one of the last times this came up and one person had a theory that the fire to burn the can was hot enough to "clean the chimney", sort of a way short of a flue temp gauge to make sure you were burning the stove hot enough. This is NOT my theory.

Only those who try to burn poor wood will search for these gimmicks.... However, if potato peelings work, maybe I can throw some of those potato chips my wife likes to chew on...

Backwoods Savage said:
Only those who try to burn poor wood will search for these gimmicks.... ...
Cause they dont have a MM BWS. :cheese:

Its one thing if its your own backyard fire-pit, but I hate when dirtbags leave half burnt cans and bottles at campsites. Pack it out.

oldspark said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Only those who try to burn poor wood will search for these gimmicks.... ...
Cause they dont have a MM BWS. :cheese:

:lol: Now I understand!

Does the empty can have to be stacked outside in the wind for a year? Got a case im going to have to split up.

BrotherBart said:
Do a search. That old dog gets a whipping here three or four times every season.

And apperently thrown at "ugly" hearths.

Man, I feel bad for ya Scott!!
Betcha wish ya never asked!

infinitymike said:
Man, I feel bad for ya Scott!!
Betcha wish ya never asked!
Well BWS has it correct, why create the creosote in the first place, woodburners dont make creosote, bad burning practices do.

...[/quote] Cause they dont have a MM BWS. :cheese:[/quote]
Okay, and that is shorthand for...?

Status
Not open for further replies.