Burning Basswood for the Shoulder Season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I've cut some blow down before but used it for kindling, but we have plenty down and could burn it in the fall and spring. Has anyone burned basswood and if so how does it burn other than quick?

Pictured is one of the many basswood that mother nature took care of.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0243-1.jpg
    100_0243-1.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 516
What shoulder season did I not get the weather update? 9 inchs of snow this A.M.

smokinjay said:
What shoulder season did I not get the weather update? 9 inchs of snow this A.M.

We only received 5-6 inches of snow, I never received the update either. :coolgrin:

Zap

I'm anxious to hear about the Basswood. I have one still stacked vertically outside that I'm considering taking in the spring. I'm just deciding is it worth the effort for firewood or to use it for other purposes (camp fires).

sgt7546 said:
I'm anxious to hear about the Basswood. I have one still stacked vertically outside that I'm considering taking in the spring. I'm just deciding is it worth the effort for firewood or to use it for other purposes (camp fires).

Very light after it dries but I've heard it burns good from some people and others say no. Just have some down right off the trail so it's easy picking plus it will make the woods look just a tad better.

Zap

Growing up we would only take Basswood if it fell across one of the trails, but then we had plenty of the harder woods to choose from. Often we used it for kindling, but burned some in splits. As I remember it burnt up fast, but don't see why it wouldn't be okay for cold starts & shoulder season.

Burns fast............if you blink you will miss it! Wood is wood...

I hate to say it but save your energy, but basswood is junk. I tried it and it isnt worth the hastle

I burn all the lessers including basswood. I can get 24 hours out of a load when its mild out if I stuff the stove. If you are trying to make a clean spot in your woods anyway, why not?

Not for nothin, but.........

We use Basswood for carving, since it is one of the softest woods around. I'd imagine you'd be loading and re-loading the fire a LOT, to keep things warm, using it for firewood!!

-Soupy1957

Compares with popple. We used to burn it in the wood cookstove. It will be fine for burning in the spring and as Soupy states, it is excellent for carving.

smokinjay said:
-14 wind chill here now, shoulder season my ash.

Accidentally took down a basswood . . . knew it as soon as I started bucking it up and moving the wood . . . saw went through the wood like a hot knife through butter and the large rounds were wicked light . . . right up there with poplar . . . I probably wouldn't take one down knowingly unless it was in the way and then it would mainly be used for shoulder season fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.