burning box elder

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

labrador

Jul 19, 2008
upstate New York
road runner
Any opinions on burning box elder? I can get a lot of it FREE just wondered about the burning qualities. It will be used in an insert so I should not have to deal with the smell. Just starting to stock up for next year.

It burns fine as long as it's dry and gives off around the same heat as soft Maples. I like to burn it mostly in the spring and fall when I don't need as many BTU's as I would get from a load of Oak or Locust.

We burned a ton of it back in the day...it's a good shoulder season wood. Or something to burn when your in an about the house.

Back in the day I went through a phase where I'd target certain pita trash trees...after willow box elder was next.

Not the kind of wood you'd put in the stove before going to bed.

Box elder I believe is in the maple family. I've had no problems burning it in the past but I certainly never go looking for it. The only box elder I've burned was given to me.

Box Elder sometimes called AshMaple, pia to splt. Still it makes you warm. If its free and you have the room might as well. I use it when I am around as it burns quickly, great for taking chill off, spring /fall. Starts easy so I use a bunch as kindeling also. Got about a 1.5 cord seasoning right now.

I burned some this past fall, it ain't no good for long burns but will put out some btu's if you need wood. I gotta be honest, I cut down a few recently, one was about 16 inch diameter at base, I threw it all on the burn pile and burned it up.

If you get it, make sure you store it off the ground.

I got half a cord of the stuff. It was such a pain to split, I swore I'd never take any more of it.

It does make decent kindling though. It lights easily and burns quick.

Like the others have said, it is OK for the shoulder season if you just need a quick shot of heat.

-SF

thanks for all the advice. Since the price is right I will use it in the off seasons if I can separate it from the rest of the hardwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.