burning cherry pits in englander

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ron2298

Dec 15, 2010
north east Indiana
I have an englander ep-25 epi pellet stove,I was told not to burn cherry pits in this! Can anyone tell me why this is? other then they are lite and blow out of the burn pot.I understand that there is an englander rep on this forum.Can I slow down the burn rate on my # 3 setting? I have increased both the #1@2 settings as they were way low.but three is still a little hot for what I need to maintane a good temp level! help me if you can.Thanks Ron [email protected]

I know the manual says only pellets. I can't see why a mix would be a problem. The exhuast pipe would have to be multi fuel pipe.
Mike will chime in and tell you for sure.

well, the stove was designed for wood pellets only, cherry pits present several issues , higher ash content , the ash can also be corrosive to carbon steel burn pots so usually pots in multifuel stoves are stainless for this reason. then you also have "popcorning" from the lighter pits (being blown out of the pot and wasted) personally ive never liked the way they burn ,but they are dirt cheap in some areas so i understand why folks want to use them, officially i have to warn you not to use them as they are not an approved fuel, unofficially though i'd say if you wish to burn them i cant stop ya , but i strongly suggest scraping the carbon buildup off the walls of the burn pot quite frequently to prevent pitting and corrosion from the residue.

as for slowing down the rate of feed, the LFF setting on the EP is already at 1 so there really isnt a way to lower the drop rate below the set rate, its already on the floor. i would suggest cutting with pellets to help stabilize the fuel for a more controllable feed rate and more even heat.

hope this helps ya

stoveguy2esw said:
well, the stove was designed for wood pellets only, cherry pits present several issues , higher ash content , the ash can also be corrosive to carbon steel burn pots so usually pots in multifuel stoves are stainless for this reason. then you also have "popcorning" from the lighter pits (being blown out of the pot and wasted) personally ive never liked the way they burn ,but they are dirt cheap in some areas so i understand why folks want to use them, officially i have to warn you not to use them as they are not an approved fuel, unofficially though i'd say if you wish to burn them i cant stop ya , but i strongly suggest scraping the carbon buildup off the walls of the burn pot quite frequently to prevent pitting and corrosion from the residue.

as for slowing down the rate of feed, the LFF setting on the EP is already at 1 so there really isnt a way to lower the drop rate below the set rate, its already on the floor. i would suggest cutting with pellets to help stabilize the fuel for a more controllable feed rate and more even heat.

hope this helps ya
so what you are saying is the #3 burn feed rate can not be slowed down a little bit?I really need to slow that 3 rate some how can I do that? I will stick with pellets I really don't care for the way cheery pits burn either.thanks for your input it was useful,Ron

ron2298 said:
stoveguy2esw said:

hope this helps ya
so what you are saying is the #3 burn feed rate can not be slowed down a little bit?I really need to slow that 3 rate some how can I do that? I will stick with pellets I really don't care for the way cheery pits burn either.thanks for your input it was useful,Ron

What Mike is saying, is that the EP series stoves like yours do get changes in the LFF and LBA above heat setting #2. However, if you have the LFF setting at 1 already, that's as low as it will go....no other way to slow the pellet delivery any lower.

stoveguy2esw said:

hope this helps ya
This also applies with corn. Pellet stoves are rated for pellets and the high limit for pellets is lower than that of corn or cherry pits which burn alot hotter. The high limits for corn and cherry pits on a multi fuel are rated higher. In pellet stoves they may kick the pellet stove out/ off. Also make sur you pipe is rated at corn/multi pipe or pellet pipe. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.