Burning Hemlock

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyT

Jan 22, 2011
Central CT
I have got to say I found some Hemlock in the woodpile and it actually burns really well. I thought it would burn through in 5 min. however I have gotten some really good burn times out of it. Has anyone else had this experience?

I am not good on the conifer Id's. We splitt some really big rounds last weekend that had been setting there for years it went stright in my friends insert its kicking some @ss. Wonder if its hemlock.

I have tried to split it by hand in the past and it is such a pain to split I have brought it rite to the dump. I am going to have to rethink this and find a better way to split it. It is not my first choice of woods but it will keep you warm any way you look at it.

Man on a Hill said:
I have tried to split it by hand in the past and it is such a pain to split I have brought it rite to the dump. I am going to have to rethink this and find a better way to split it. It is not my first choice of woods but it will keep you warm any way you look at it.

He got just over 900 sq ft insulated well. -3 out last night wwhen he got up it was still 68 in there. We used a splitter some knots but not bad.Rounds where all well over 35 inchs. Didnt know at the time how good it is. There's more and he wants it I would say good score.

I have burnt some hemlock with good results. The ones with big knots lasts for quite a while. I don't go looking for it but like some people, if its down, cut it up. I had a great uncle that made his living with a sawmill, thats all he burnt.

Just got a text My friend running in the low 80's this A.M. Cruise though this weather No Gas AT all! He's only has about 900 sqft though. Still Worth the effort if its seasoned!

I had a big hemlock that died in my backyard. It burned fine, but it was very light when dried. Split easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.