Burning rotten wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
VA
If you have some wood that's good and dry but is punky or has some rot, do you burn it anyway? Someone told me they never burn anything with even partial rot. They have a cat stove, so I wonder if that's why? I just got a load of sorta rotty wood. There's some good stuff in there but it will take some sorting. But I just figured the rotted stuff would just burn right up, just faster. But maybe that's bad?

I just don't want to hurt the stove, or anything like that!

Don't have a cat stove, so can't address that aspect...but I'll burn partially punky splits in my stoves. If it's really punky through and through, I toss it in my dump trailer for the next run to the yardwaste recycle facility. (Don't have an outside fire pit). If I'm splitting and I've got some stuff that's punky on one side but otherwise solid, I'll split off the punk best I can & toss it, keep the rest for the stack. Not because I think it'll do anything bad to my stoves, rather simply because it's of marginal heating value. Rick

About the same process that fossil mentions above... I burn it in a non-cat stove, but can't picture why a cat would matter. Don't like the mess is the main reason I keep as much out as possible.

Not much to add here . . . non cat stove . . . but I specifically toss my punky wood into my punk, chunk and ugly pile . . . this wood usually gets burned in the Fall of the year . . . or I pull from it when I need wood for camping or the fire pit. I will occasionally whack off some punk while splitting . . . but unless it's a sopping wet, falling-apart mess (i.e. fertilizer) I just keep the wood and burn it once dry.

Reactions: Cfran88
some rotten wood really smokes and stinks when you burn it. If neighbors or smoke police
are a consideration, you may not want to burn some of the rotten wood.

I try not to burn rotten wood because of the smoke and or stench it can create and out of a desire
not to have my neighbors call the fire dept on me...

fossil said:
If I'm splitting and I've got some stuff that's punky on one side but otherwise solid, I'll split off the punk best I can & toss it, keep the rest for the stack. Not because I think it'll do anything bad to my stoves, rather simply because it's of marginal heating value.

Same here, but I find I'm keeping more punk than I used to because it burns just fine when fully dry, and is good for short pre-season fires (like today).

I don't like to waste wood. If it is stackable and solid enough to be split I usually put it in the stacks with the other firewood. It burns just fine. If it splits funny and is crumbly then it goes to the campfire pile which easily hits half a cord per 5 cords of stacked wood. This campfire pile is always burned up in our annual pumpkin carving party to occur this year the weekend before halloween! This fire can be substantial.

Just remember, 8500 btus per lb. Nomatter how solid it is.

branchburner said:
fossil said:
If I'm splitting and I've got some stuff that's punky on one side but otherwise solid, I'll split off the punk best I can & toss it, keep the rest for the stack. Not because I think it'll do anything bad to my stoves, rather simply because it's of marginal heating value.

Same here, but I find I'm keeping more punk than I used to because it burns just fine when fully dry, and is good for short pre-season fires (like today).

+2 ..... I have found though that punky wood does absorb moisture (rain water) so it needs to be kept covered in order to stay dry.

I used to save all the marginal wood for the fire pit. What I learned is all dry wood burns. In fact nothing goes up as fast as a dry piece of punkey wood. The only issue is getting it dried and keeping it dry. It's basically a sponge. So I still keep all the punk wood in a separate covered pile. I use it in the shoulder season, when we do quick small loads to take the chill off.

Tom

Since I do our grilling over an oak fire I use the punk wood to get the grill fire going good.

xman23 said:
I used to save all the marginal wood for the fire pit. What I learned is all dry wood burns. In fact nothing goes up as fast as a dry piece of punkey wood. The only issue is getting it dried and keeping it dry. It's basically a sponge. So I still keep all the punk wood in a separate covered pile. I use it in the shoulder season, when we do quick small loads to take the chill off.

Tom

Same here. As long as it's dry I've had no problems burning punky wood. I use it in the spring and fall, and to help my fires get going in the winter.

If it snaps when it splits, it heats the house. If it peels or crumbles or has too many bugs, it goes in the pit.

Status
Not open for further replies.