Burning some knotty uglies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never seem to remember all the old tricks. Trying to load 2 mishapen uglies that aren't easily split with my axe, and I incorrectly loaded the first making the 2nd larger one difficult to load. Fortunately, after some effort with the 2nd in the box, I was able to remove it before it caught and reposition the first on it's side. These were both oak, but most of the wood I get is oak, so it's not really wasteful during shoulder season. Low of 42 tonight, so I know the heat isn't wasted. My Heritage has a limited firebox, so you have to think before loading larger pieces to squeeze them in a smaller firebox. Got them both in over a large coal bed and I have secondaries almost immediately. This wood was probably split 1.5 years ago, so while not perfectly seasoned, it took off quickly in a very warm stove. This was the perfect opportunity to use them. Would never start a fire with these, but they'll burn a good 5 or 6 hours. I likely won't relight till Monday.

I have two pallet boxes I made full of knotty uglies, shorties and cookies, Im going to use them for shoulder season since, like you found out, its hard to load the box good and full with all the odd shaped pieces.

Shorties and uglies are fine for shoulder season burning. They get the job done when the stove doesn't need to be packed full. And some of those knots can burn a long time.

Shorties and uglies are fine for shoulder season burning. They get the job done when the stove doesn't need to be packed full. And some of those knots can burn a long time.

I agree...The knotty pieces do burn a while.

Knots and uglies are something most of us have every year. Good time to use them right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.