Burning Wood Pellets in a wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RDCrazy

Dec 5, 2008
Northern Illinois
Has anybody used wood pellets in a regular wood stove. Does it work is it efficient. Can much heat be extracted from the stove using pellets. How about burn times. Whats the longest burn time. Any other information would be greatly apprieciated. I see that a grate is made at the Pelleteer.com. And the information that I read from this site is all good. But its kinda hard to believe. So lets hear everyones expierences with use of wood pellets in a wood stove. Also will it hurt to use pellets in a cat stove?

Attachments

• pellp15.jpg
    pellp15.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,034
I've seen those baskets but I can't imagine that they would work very good,first off your going to have to let everything cool way down before you'd even be able to pull it out to reload it,then your going to have the issue of pulling ashes along out with the basket.Just my 2 cents,but it doesn't look all that convenient to me.

Bio Bricks or Envi Blocks might be a more effective way to use alternate fuel sources in your stove. I have not tried them yet, but have read some good stuff on them on the forum. From what I can tell, they are cheaper than cord wood where we live and I am hopeful that I can get longer overnite burns with them.

Aren't bio bricks essentially really big pellets?

Status
Not open for further replies.