Bush Cord?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How much wood is in a "bush cord"? Seen an add for one bush cord of blocked Maple for $100 u pick up. Now normally around here one cord of blocked Maple goes for $180-$200 delivered.Just wonderin if it's a deal as I've nerver heard of a "bush cord".Any info is appreciated.

maybe its a pile of old bushes. lol never heard of it myself. i do know the canadians call the working in the woods the bush. maybe its just wood.

Really, there's no such thing. There may be some local definition, like a 'rick' or something. Ask the seller what his definition is. See if you can get an exact measurement.
Many states only recognize the cord, and fractions thereof, as the legal measurement of wood.

I talk to Canadians on a regular basis up here in the sticks of Northern New York. I had one tell me one time that a bush cord is 8'x8'x4' that is logs. If I remember that right. You do the blocking and splitting from that point. Like I said. If I remember right. Check it out some more. Might be a good deal.

I emailed the seller asking how much was in a bush cord and am waiting to hear back. Yes we Canucks do call it the bush from time to time but like you I had never heard of it. The add said some was split but not the bigger rounds. It also said he'd help throw it on the truck. :)

Like I said, "If I remembered it right!" :)

This is one definition I found on it. 4′x4′x8′ of tightly stacked wood. A volume measure. With 16″ pieces, that equals one long 24′ row, 4′ high. Sounds like a full cord of wood to me. :lol:

Guy emailed me back and this is what he said "A bush cord refers to three face cords. This means when split and stacked the pile should be close to 3 rows that are 8 feet long by 4 feet high and 16 inches wide. It may not quite be that much...this is why I am only asking 100 dollars for it all" So basically a cord. %-P

John the Painter said:
Guy emailed me back and this is what he said "A bush cord refers to three face cords. This means when split and stacked the pile should be close to 3 rows that are 8 feet long by 4 feet high and 16 inches wide. It may not quite be that much...this is why I am only asking 100 dollars for it all" So basically a cord. %-P

Then why the heck doesn't he just call it a CORD? Instead of a Bush Cord OR Three face cords?? This wood is not split? Is that your understanding? $100 a cord would be a good deal. If you have to provide all the labor? Not so much. And remember, if it is not split, it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to burn it this year. Probably still wet as a sponge.

I don't care for his caveat, either. "It might not be quite that much...?" Sounds like he's beating around the Bush. A reputable seller, if in doubt, would just toss in a little extra to make sure the customer got what he paid for.

Kenster said:
John the Painter said:

Then why the heck doesn't he just call it a CORD? Instead of a Bush Cord OR Three face cords?? This wood is not split? Is that your understanding? $100 a cord would be a good deal. If you have to provide all the labor? Not so much. And remember, if it is not split, it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to burn it this year. Probably still wet as a sponge.

I don't care for his caveat, either. "It might not be quite that much...?" Sounds like he's beating around the Bush. A reputable seller, if in doubt, would just toss in a little extra to make sure the customer got what he paid for.

I agree wholeheartedly. He's some guy that took down a couple trees and wants to make a couple bucks. It would be for next years supply of wood.

Bush cord sounds like a way of working the word "cord" into a statement describing less than a cord.

It seems to me that you are paying him $100 to do your scrounging for you, but you still have to do most of the work. If you don't have to tools to do your own wood or you figure the time he saved you is worth $100 then go for it. If you have the time and your own chain saw I would advise to skip it and do your own scrounging.

For some odd reason some folks, especially in the north like to refer to a cord of wood as a bush cord. I think perhaps that separates it from the "cord" that most wood sellers sell by, that is, a face cord.

A cord is a cord. Bush cord is un-split.
Seems pretty simple to me.
What if the tree has not been felled? Standing Bush Cord.
How much does that cost?

Sounds like its still a tree. Sounds like a better term should be tree cord. Maybe, should call it a desk cord, maybe it could be turned into a desk after you buy $1000's of dollars of equipment, then dry it, then build furniture. These people need to get out and do some real work. They look at trees and see $ signs. They have no idea what labor costs!
Tell him you'll give him bush money (money in the form of paper that hasn't been printed on by a mint).

mecreature said:
A cord is a cord. Bush cord is un-split.
Seems pretty simple to me.
What if the tree has not been felled? Standing Bush Cord.
How much does that cost?

hmmm...maybe this is STARTING to make sense to me.

i can picture rounds cut and stacked in the woods with the dimensions of a cord. hence a bush cord. which, when split, would expand something like 10-20% so a $100 bush cord is a good deal...volume wise that is, unless you have to haul it out of the BUSH. the species and moisture are another thing to consider.

LOL, it looks like I've learned 3 things today:

What a bush cord is.
What a standing bush cord is.
And what bush money is.

On that basis, I should be able to take the rest of the day off. ☺

Constrictor said:
Ask him what the heck a face cord is.

Yeah it seems to be a Canadian thing. A face cord is understood as 4' x 8' x 16".

Greetings . . . for sale . . . one Herkimer Cord for $100, one Forestforthetrees Cord for $150 or one Herrickton for $300. Act now, these offers will only last for so long. ;) :)

Oh yeah, don't even bother asking me how cords because . . . wait for it . . . "I don't sell no dictionary cords." ;) :)

Sisu said:
Constrictor said:
Ask him what the heck a face cord is.

Yeah it seems to be a Canadian thing. A face cord is understood as 4' x 8' x 16".

I think a face cord is "generally" thought to be 4x8x16" so why not just call it a third of a cord? In actuality, a lot of people use the term "face cord to mean a stack 4 feet x 8 feet with splits of any length - not specifically 16 inches. Could be 20 inches or 14 inches.

Heck, since there is no legally recognized measurement called a face cord I guess it could be 4 ft x 8 ft x 3/4 inch but around here I'd call that a sheet of plywood.

I took a drive buy the guys house today after work and sitting at the end of the driveway is a pile of wood.Smaller rounds split bigger ones unsplit.It's a nice pile (it is stacked neatly) but it is no cord of wood (By that I mean 128 ft ³ ) maybe 3/4 of a cord and thats being gracious.Needles to say I'm not going to buy it for the $100 he's asking.I did ask him if that was the best he'd do before I seen the pile and he told me it was as he thought it was fair because someone told him to ask $150. :eek:hh: Some people :roll:

krex1010 said:
Bush cord sounds like a way of working the word "cord" into a statement describing less than a cord.

Say it. It's a means to a scam, or plain suckerage. Unethical business practice. What more needs to be said?

CTYank said:
krex1010 said:

Say it. It's a means to a scam, or plain suckerage. Unethical business practice. What more needs to be said?

I bet you have the attorney general on speed dial!
Do you ask for the grocery store manager when you try to buy a 2 liter bottle of soda and demand it in quarts!
I'm guessing you throw a fit when you haul a load of junk to the scrap yard and they pay you by the gross ton (= 2240 lbs).
You prolly fall off the couch hemorrhaging when they run the 400 M relay watching the Olympics.
How do you buy MJ ? By the dime or gram? Better call the cops if your provider doesn't use the proper terminology.
John did the right thing . He went and checked it out.
BTW,,, a bush cord is what old time Canadian pulpers used to call a cord.

John the Painter said:
I took a drive buy the guys house today after work and sitting at the end of the driveway is a pile of wood.Smaller rounds split bigger ones unsplit.It's a nice pile (it is stacked neatly) but it is no cord of wood (By that I mean 128 ft ³ ) maybe 3/4 of a cord and thats being gracious.Needles to say I'm not going to buy it for the $100 he's asking.I did ask him if that was the best he'd do before I seen the pile and he told me it was as he thought it was fair because someone told him to ask $150. :eek:hh: Some people :roll:

Well if in your words it is a text book 3/4 cord and a cord in your area goes for 200.00 wouldnt that be 150.00 bucks....Now I am not great at story problems but not sure who the some people are in this story. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.