Busy busy busy.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
My little firewood business has exploded this year. In all of 2009 I sold 10 loads (a load for me is 1/2 face cord which is equal to 1/6 of a full cord). So far this winter, as of last night, I have sold 87 loads! All of my three year seasoned wood for sale.....gone! Right now I am cutting standing dead oak wilt trees, splitting by hand as always, and selling them as fast as I can haul them up to the house. I tell people that they are not seasoned and that many times there is still a lot of moisture in the trunks and they say they don't care because it's still better than the 'big' firewood sellers have and from what I've heard I'm cheaper. I tried to stop selling when I ran out of the good stuff, but they begged me for whatever I could cut for them. I've been selling 6-10 loads every weekend lately and averaging at least one load per day during the week. I have had a few calls this morning and one guy stopped by, but as of yet today haven't sold any. Some nights after milking the cows I have been delivering firewood in my old bald-tire truck until 9:00pm.

Anyway, the firewood sales may come to an end soon whether my customers like it or not. I spent much of the day yesterday stuck in the woods with my ATV and little wood hauler sled. And it's snowing again right now. I have a lot cut and split and just thrown in piles because it's too far off the path to walk it out through the knee-deep snow, load it on the ATV and haul it up (I had to walk in to get to many trees that I have cut and left lay for when the snow goes). I have been so busy that I haven't even taken many pictures this winter. Most days lately I don't even have the camera with me.

But you know what? I'm having a great time! I love it! And I just hate to say no when there is an opportunity to make more firewood!

Sounds great quads, glad to hear its working out and you are happy with the results, I dont think the wood burning thing (or lack of) has changed much here in NW Iowa.

Quads- I think we are in a similar situation. I work my 40 during the day and make pots at night, process wood for firing and fire the kiln on the weekend, do shows on weekends- I am very rarely not moving but I love it.

If you see us not moving- throw dirt on us, eh?

I often think of the firewood sellers and wonder how it's even possible to make money at it. I would need a steady source of log length truck deliveries, a loader, a multitek 16 way processor, and a dump vehicle. I would want the entire process to be mechanical. Even with that - I still don't know how they turn a profit at $ 200 a cord.

One man, a saw, and an axe selling firewood........ Wow!

I think you summed it up well when you said, "I’m having a great time! I love it! And I just hate to say no when there is an opportunity to make more firewood! " This is not something you are doing to get rich. It's enjoyment. Good on you.

You're a better man than me. I'd be saving all of it for my own future heating needs and taking a break!

Very good problems and you have your favorite saw again....Priceless

If I was was in your area & needed wood.
I know I would buy yours. Knowing it's seasoned right. ;) (premium wood at a cheaper price & it burns in the new EPA cat stoves , duh ;-P )
Now add in word of mouth is spreading & it's a colder than norm winter. You're gonna be busy.

The "quality & supply & demand" business factors may have just made it to your neck of the woods.
Sounds like you are having a blast, good deal. & some coin in your pocket.
If next winter is as bad, you'll have to hire a helper & a Ski-doo Skandic. (& a few new fisker's maul handles) :lol: LOL

Have fun, sound like you are!

Yup, it would be very hard to make a living at it (my price per cord figures out to $150) so I just do it for fun/beer money.

I'm not sure if I will be able to get out there in the woods now that we got more snow. Will find out today, if I get time to go out and cut, I already have deliveries scheduled after milking this morning. Have been delivering so much that I keep the old truck loaded and ready to go at all times now.

good to hear from you QUADS
glad to hear your busy

miss your pictures, though
look foward to seeing them

Good to hear business is good.

Quads next atv:

Attachments

• cushman.jpg
    cushman.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 395
that's very generous of you.
does it come with a lifetime supply of fuel, too ?

:)

billb3 said:
that's very generous of you.
does it come with a lifetime supply of fuel, too ?

Naaa...he will be so good at makin' paper that he can buy his own. :lol:

Jags said:
Quads next atv:
WOW! That would be awesome. Hmmmm, I wonder.....

Let me know if you need any help. I have two saws that need to be broken in and not enough wood around here to do it.

But I'll let you do all of the caveman maul swinging. :)

wendell said:
Let me know if you need any help. I have two saws that need to be broken in and not enough wood around here to do it.

But I'll let you do all of the caveman maul swinging. :)
A buddy of mine said the same thing and he came over Saturday to 'run his saw a bit and get some exercise'. Although he only got to run his saw for a few hours in the afternoon. We spent the morning buying my new saw and selling firewood to customers before we got a chance to go out in the woods in the afternoon.

I was out there and cut for awhile yesterday and did not get stuck, unlike Sunday when it was warmer and the snow was soft I was stuck most of the day. I had to walk a bit through the snow to get to the couple trees I cut yesterday, and then walk/toss the splits back out to the trail to load them on my sled. The plan for today was to take a little old plastic kiddie sled out with me and use that to haul the wood through the snow to the ATV/hauler parked on the trail. But, I'm not sure if I can get out there. We only got another 2.5" of snow here last night, but some really strong winds. I even had a hard time getting down to the barn this morning walking through the drifts. This could be the end of cutting until Spring! I'll know later this morning....

maplewood said:
quads said:
Jags said:
Quads next atv:
WOW! That would be awesome. Hmmmm, I wonder.....

...Do I hear the price of firewood going up?
I bet one of those costs a lot more than an old snowmobile! I used to have a few snowmobiles setting around, but I gave them away years ago (the newest one was 1970 and the oldest was 1964). Kind of wish I had kept one now....

Status
Not open for further replies.