But it worked fine for 10+ years...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JV_Thimble

Feeling the Heat
Sep 28, 2010
South-Central MI
First time poster, and have been looking around here a lot the past week. Any thoughts you may have on this will be appreciated.

Have an old Vermont Casting Vigilant (says 1977 on the cast iron inside the firebox in large characters). Have been using it for supplemental heat in the rec room the ten years we've been here (stove came with the house). Rec room is on the lower level near a stairwell, and house has an open floorplan upstairs, so the stove contributes significantly to household heating.

Amazingly, I used a new (though very experienced) chimney sweep this year, and he said our chimney was unsafe to use. From looking and reading here and elsewhere, he seems to be right. Took the wind out of my sails, as I work from home, and I would typically light the stove every night. We eat dinner in front of the tube in that room all the time when I'm not out of town.

The stove sits on a concrete pad with a brick wall behind it, that goes up ~2/3 of the wall height. Wood mantle over the top, the trim of which gets to around 6" from the single wall stovepipe where it enters the brick wall. Flush with the back of the brick veneer is a double wall stove pipe or chimney section (18" long) that goes through:

1. a six inch interior wallspace with minimum 2-3" clearance from drywall. Previous owner must've thought drywall to be noncombustible, so no studs are visible.
2. exterior block wall
3. small air gap (~1/4") between the block wall and the outer masonry of the chimney.
4. Chimney masonry.
5. Ceramic flue liner, ~ 7 x 12". By feel, the double wall stove pipe seems to be nicely seated/ mortared into the flue.

The 8" single wall off the Vigilant was seated into the double wall pipe by being nested inside the pipe at both the stove and double wall ends. This gives about a 4' horizontal pipe section straight back into the flue. The chimney has a total height of 23.5 feet (I added two blocks and flue liner after we moved in, chimney was too short before to meet code). Perhaps that should've been a clue...

The sweep started out suggesting a liner would be a good (but probably too expensive) idea, as we tend to get a fair bit of creosote buildup every year. After we disconnected the single from the double wall pipe in the house, though, he said we needed a proper thimble and clearances, and said the chimney was unsafe to use. He said a new thimble would be the minimum course of action, but would only quote liner + thimble (otherwise too small a job for him during his peak/busy time).

After lots of reading and looking at the situation, I'm tending to think that while the current setup may not seem particularly dangerous, it is also not correct. At the least, wood trim 6" from single-wall pipe is no good. Fires are one of those low probability & high consequence events I'd rather avoid. (And better chance of a fire here than winning the lottery, I'd venture).

I thought about using double-wall pipe through the brick veneer, but that would seem questionable at best with what's going on inside the wall (gets into the 'is drywall combustible' discussion). It would also require expanding the opening in the veneer to accommodate the pipe, so it would seem best to at least install a thimble. As the double wall pipe is nicely seated in the flue, I'm thinking I don't want to mess with what's working here.

This leads me to think that the DIY course of action would be something like this:

1. Install an Insul-Flue or Saf-T-Thimble around the existing 8" double wall pipe through the brick veneer in the house.
2. Attach a short section of double wall pipe to the existing to get beyond the brick veneer face.
3. Continue with double-wall pipe to the stove.
4. Rebuild everything back up (some brick and lintel).
5. Voila! Minimum acceptable condition.

Better would be to install a liner, but I'm thinking that would best wait for a newer stove with a smaller diameter exhaust. The sweep recommended taking out the existing clay liner in favor of 8" round stainless steel, but that seems excessive to me. And I'm also thinking a 6" liner could readily be installed through my propo0sed DIY setup when the time comes. Alternately, I could consider a squarish liner to avoid having to take out the ceramic liner (better safety factor to me).

And although I'd rather not spend way too much money, another option would be to buy a new stove and have the local shop rework the thimble and liner to be up to code (all in sync at once). Although the qualified chimney folks in this area seem to be quite busy, the shop probably has some folks lined up. So, good chance they could beat me to a better finish here. I'll probably call them tomorrow and bring it up. Even if we can afford it, though, the eventual payback on a house in Michigan makes DIY look more attractive.

Again, any thoughts on all of this appreciated. And if you've read this far I appreciate your patience...

Thanks,

John

Welcome John. It does sound like a word of warning. Pictures would help here. But from the description it does sound like "it's time" to get things fixed.

Right - here are some interior photos.

Attachments

• Double wall.jpg
    Double wall.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 656
  • Area view.jpg
    Area view.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 595
  • Area view 2.jpg
    Area view 2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 597
  • Area view 3.jpg
    Area view 3.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 578
Sounds like you've got a ticking time bomb there. The problem is that over time and with many fires in the stove the flash point of the wood and drywall goes down which could result in a fire at anytime. This actually happened to some people who live down the street from me. Wood was too close to the stove pipe and after years and years of burning in the stove the wood caught on fire. Luckily they noticed it before it spread and were able to put it out.

If it was me I would remove the mantel or move it further away and take care of the clearance issues in the wall. Sounds like the chimney is probably ok.

And here are some from the outside, back when I extended the chimney and flue length to meet code.

Attachments

• Chimney Outside.jpg
    Chimney Outside.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 574
  • Chimney top.jpg
    Chimney top.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 565
  • Chimney top2.jpg
    Chimney top2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 566
albertj03 said:
Sounds like you've got a ticking time bomb there. The problem is that over time and with many fires in the stove the flash point of the wood and drywall goes down which could result in a fire at anytime. This actually happened to some people who live down the street from me. Wood was too close to the stove pipe and after years and years of burning in the stove the wood caught on fire. Luckily they noticed it before it spread and were able to put it out.

If it was me I would remove the mantel or move it further away and take care of the clearance issues in the wall. Sounds like the chimney is probably ok.

Agreed - definitely need to do something in the wall. Mantle will be a challenge, as the spouse likes the look (so do I). Have to work out what to do about the mantle side - perhaps the new thimble + double wall pipe would let me keep things pretty close to how they are in the room.

Uninsulated exterior chimney will contribute to the creosote build up but I would be more concerned about the clearance issues first. Maybe do the inside work this year and then line the chimney with insulated liner next year.

Is that class A pipe in the wall acting as a thimble or double-wall connector pipe?

BeGreen said:
Is that class A pipe in the wall acting as a thimble or double-wall connector pipe?

That's a great question, but I have no clue. How to tell?

From the looks of it I was thinking it might be class A pipe. If you can find a label on the horiz. piece that would be the best.

BeGreen said:
From the looks of it I was thinking it might be class A pipe. If you can find a label on the horiz. piece that would be the best.

I'll give that a go, but it may not be till I open things up more. What difference would it make from an implementation perspective?

I can see some potential problems:

1. Too big OD may not fit in thimble => more re-work.
2. Adapting from Class A to double - wall pipe. Not sure if there are connectors intended to do that properly.

Big differences in clearances to combustibles. 18" needed for single-wall, 6" needed for double-wall connector, 2" for class A HT pipe.

There are class A to double-wall connecting pipe adapters, if you stay with the same pipe brand.

BeGreen said:
Big differences in clearances to combustibles. 18" needed for single-wall, 6" needed for double-wall connector, 2" for class A HT pipe.

There are class A to double-wall connecting pipe adapters, if you stay with the same pipe brand.

OK, so I could get very lucky here. If what's in the wall is Class A HT, perhaps a short additional length of the same, and then double wall connector from there to the stove could solve the problems inside the wall. Interesting.

OK, so I finally got around to opening things up a bit more. I was able to see 6-8" of the end of the pipe. How do I know if this is Class A HT, and, if possible, what brand? I'd like to be able to order parts in advance for my repair before making more of a mess if I can. :)

Didn't see or feel any log on the outside of the pipe.

BTW, is that hard plastic-like strip that was used as a lintel of sorts as odd as it looks to me?

Thanks,

John

Attachments

• Chimney Close Up 1.jpg
    Chimney Close Up 1.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 350
  • Chimney Close Up 2.jpg
    Chimney Close Up 2.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 348
Status
Not open for further replies.