Butt Roast on the grill!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary_602z

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2009
Lake Odessa,MI
Okay after seeing everybody else doing one I am trying it out. 4-1/2lb. with dry rub on my gas grill with hickory chips in foil on the burner.

Couple of questions, How long do you think it will take? I have had it around 225. Is that about right? Should I flip it half way through?
Do you think it will taste good?:)

Gary

If its "Indirect" heat, then flipping may not matter. Temp seems good.

Be sure to check internal temp.

As for time, its not weight that determines the length of time, its also the thickness. A 1 lb steak thats 1.5" thick, but 6" round, is gonna take longer than a 1 lb steak thats 1/2" thick and 18" round.

Got any pics? ?

Im cooking a Fat Flat cut of Corn Beef for Dinner. Been in the Pot since this morning.... Ummmm...

Reactions: Defiant
In the hillbilly meat smoker I cook'em for around 14 hours at 200 to 225. It is close to the end that the tuff stuff turns to that wonderful mush. Same for when I do one in the slow cooker.

Reactions: Defiant and fox9988
Test it after six hours. Don't think it will be ready though.

I usually do ones that are larger than that. I just cruised by some BBQ sites and most people do 1.5 to two hours per pounds at that temp.

That is why I do them for a few hours in the smoker anymore to get the smoked taste and then finish them off in the slow cooker. Saves a lot of wood and tastes the same.

...And???

BroB is on the mark for times and temps. 225 is typically 11-12 hrs for me. Meat will really only take on smoke until the surface temp starts to exceed 180F. Then you are done with the smoke (that is why BroB's roast finished in the cooker works so well).

I go for 2-3 doses of smoke in the beginning and then let it run its course. A spritz of apple juice once in a while is a good thing.:cool:

This holiday weekend we will be cooking up a bunch of shoulders - got about 150 peeps show up for chow. Two big smokers running like steam engines. Whooo Hoooo. The beer will be a-flow-in.

Well just a little bit after my last post my wife and son came after me with knives and a frying pan demanding to be fed. I fought them off for about an hour until they overwhelmed me.:)

It was done but I would have liked to seen more time on the grill. I know pictures or it didn't happen! Just trying to get the camera to focus on the bone that was left.

Gary

Reactions: Defiant and zap
Status
Not open for further replies.