Buy now for next year or wait?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sc0872

Feb 9, 2009
MO
I have got a deal on pellets for 3.14 a bag, the brands are somerset and greanway. I am wondering what do most people do buy now and have them already for next year or wait and see if the price drops more or wait until the pre buy next fall. I will be buying 10 pallets if i buy now.

If I was sure those were the pellets I wanted to burn. I would now them now I can't imagine pellets any cheaper than that.

@ $157 a ton... Buy, Buy, Buy!! Somersets are a great pellet, burned several ton of them. I have never burned the Greenway's, so no comment on them. But I don't think they will get much cheaper, if any cheaper at all.

The bird on the wire(and I have heard from a few now) are saying if you wait past this seasons spring prebuy all bets are off. So I am not taking a chance and stuffing them to the rafters.

Bought 5 tons at the start of the season for $186 delivered and have been replacing them with cheaper pellets as I use them. I plan to stack'em high if I can continue to pay less. My guess is that if oil keeps going up that pellet prices will rise ......... because they can.

PIGOUT

A some what stupid question to all you PIGS..
I agree with the BUY now.. but..

What about storage and humidity causing rot and spoilage in plastic bags stored ?

Anything stored in plastic in 90 degree humid weather cannot stay as good as it is right now..fresh and dry.
I can buy and store several tons in my pole shed..but they are not climate controlled..and I paid a price doing so with corn.
Does the product deteriorate?

Thanks in advance.

That is a very good question that does concern me as well. I will be storing these in my basement. Does anyone see a problem with that.

Keep it in my cool basement, with a de humidifier all summer long.

I am currently using up pellets that have been in my basement for 4-5 years. Properly wrapped they can last a very long time. Humidity doesn't affect them as much as people would like to think as during the production process they are encased in lignin a natural moisture barrier. If I had the room for 10 tons at 175.00 i'd be stacking them as high as I could for the next 4-5 seasons.

Store pellet's for years in my garage year round, seen moisture on bag's during summer, had ZERO issue's, have some bag's that are over 3-4 yr's old, not a problem.

Somersets Are good> I didnt like the Greenways. If I had that deal and room I would buy all the Somersets.

Don't waste time and effort predicting what the next year will bring. Instead just ask yourself if you think it is a good value, if you have the money now, if it is a good pellet that burns well in your stove, and do you have the space to store them. My only worry buying ten tons would be lot to lot differences, but you have no control over that.

I'd buy at that price to add to my stash.

But then I'm one to have plenty of my common consumables on hand and it isn't just pellets.

It's nice not having to scurry around during the winter. Since I have the room I might just as well put it to use.

Pellet enthusiasts:

I was a volunteer fireman a few years back and saw a several house fires here in the north east - where we frequently get 80%+ humidity for several days over the summer months. We also get 90 and 100F weather far too often here. One thing that firemen always notice is how tinder-dry old wood houses get - especially in the attic - but also in the wall studs and under the floor boards (joists).

Basically, if you can keep the rain and condensation off of wood it drys out pretty much in dependant of relative humidity. Also think about the fire-wood enthusiast who chop and stack their fuel for several months to a year to 'dry' or 'cure' it. They often cover just the top of the pile with plastic and leave the sides open for air movement. Those guys get a net-drying result for their fire wood even here in the NE. I know wood pellets are kiln dried to a lower water content that firewood.

So, I'm thinking, a few tons of wood pellets all wrapped tightly in plastic (40 lb bags) and stacked tightly in nice square piles is going to absorb very little moisture from humid air. I think the trick is to keep 'em covered (dry) and a few inches off of the ground (like sitting on a wood pallet) and all will be fine. Note the firewood guys will tell you their wood has to be lifted from the ground a few inches to dry or it will actually 'suck' up water from contact with the earth. So be sure to set your pellets on very dry ground (gravel, dry cement) or on pallets to avoid ground moisture.

PS: I will be buying next year's pellets in the spring - 'cause at less than 1% interest on the bank account, I think my $$ is better tied up in wood pellets, which will probably rise more that 1% by fall. This is especially true when one considers how many more people will be looking at pellet stoves as oil prices continue to rise!

Take care
RonB

Taperbill said:
A some what stupid question to all you PIGS..
I agree with the BUY now.. but..

What about storage and humidity causing rot and spoilage in plastic bags stored ?

Anything stored in plastic in 90 degree humid weather cannot stay as good as it is right now..fresh and dry.
I can buy and store several tons in my pole shed..but they are not climate controlled..and I paid a price doing so with corn.
Does the product deteriorate?

Thanks in advance.

Burning pellets that were put in my garage 5-08. Keep the ton seal on, make a slit and pull out one bag at a time, in the spring tape slit.

Pellet-King said:
Store pellet's for years in my garage year round, seen moisture on bag's during summer, had ZERO issue's, have some bag's that are over 3-4 yr's old, not a problem.

what he said, x2!

I haven't bought pellets for at least a couple, maybe a few, years. I've got LG's and Barefoots that still burn fine that are stored in the cellar. The floods we had last spring took care of a couple of tons though, but the bags that weren't sunk are still good. So here's another consideration for you, my basement had never flooded before but I ended up shoveling a couple of tons of pellets out the bulkhead. Not fun. I'd recommend storing them higher than just on a single pallet, but this means storing less.

Let me try to put your situation into perspective for you. 8 years ago when I started burning pellets to avoid the propane man I paid about $170 a ton. At the price you have quoted, I would buy atleast 2 tons.

sc0872 said:
I have got a deal on pellets for 3.14 a bag, the brands are somerset and greanway. I am wondering what do most people do buy now and have them already for next year or wait and see if the price drops more or wait until the pre buy next fall. I will be buying 10 pallets if i buy now.

From where I'm at thats a good deal.Get the somersets.I'm burning Greenways and they are NASTY lots of ash...
Thanks

I've got 2.5 ton in the basement and plan on putting in at least one more this weekend. My first two tons were ProPellets at $3.29 a bag and now I'm getting Somerset pellets at Menards for $3.49 on sale. I think I'm only buying what my basement can hold after the burning season is over...which might mean I'll put another ton in the garage before the sale ends!!

Basement is dry and I run a dehumidifier in summer months due to the central air condensation.

Our dealer for this year will be taking orders(For next year) starting in April.
The price was $199/ton this year. He is waiting to hear from the supplier as to the pricing.
Hope is does not go up too much.
Getting a delivery of 100 gal tomorrow. $3.20/gal !!!

lessoil said:
Our dealer for this year will be taking orders(For next year) starting in April.
The price was $199/ton this year. He is waiting to hear from the supplier as to the pricing.
Hope is does not go up too much.
Getting a delivery of 100 gal tomorrow. $3.20/gal !!!

$3.37/gal here in VT, will be calling around tomorrow to get some prices on pellets. I am really happy though with the Northern Pellets we just had. If they are still around $230/ton I will take another of those.

sc0872 said:
That is a very good question that does concern me as well. I will be storing these in my basement. Does anyone see a problem with that.

I've stored my pellets in my basement every year for 14 years although I never had any in there longer than 3 years. I never had a problem with moisture even during the Mother's Day Flood here in Mass in 2006. $157 is a tremendous price and I wouldn't be "thinking" about it for very long.....

Status
Not open for further replies.