Buying a chimney brush

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
I got a tutorial from my chimney sweep on cleaning my flue, and I'm going to try it. I'll buy a brush and rod kit on Ebay.

I assume that I measure the diameter of the flue and get a brush with the same specified diameter. Anything else I should know??

Thanks,

i clean my own chimney also but i have a 8 inch brush. this year I'm getting a new stove with a 6 inch so i have to buy a new brush.
could you share your tutorial with us. i just want to see if there are any tips i could use.

thanks
Jason

We got a plastic/poly brush and the fiberglass rods at the local true value hardware store, like 10-12 bucks for the brush...Was told we did not need the steel one by a couple folks...disconnect the single wall stove pipe where it meets the chimney, use two plastic grocery bags one inside the other, masking tape to keep snug..masking tape stays on the plastic bag...The Mrs..supports the bag and tells me when the brush is there. I usually do this 3 or 4 times, each time I turn the brush a bit.. We brush once a year.

could you share your tutorial with us.

It was nothing fancy. He just told me that with our model of fireplace (Regency Warm Hearth), that it was easy (some models, not so easy). He said I just brush the inside of the flue, and then vacuum away the creosote which will be deposited here (pointing to smoke shelf).

Status
Not open for further replies.