buying a pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snwcube

Sep 12, 2006
Hello,
I am looking into buying a pellet stove. I am interested in Quadra-Fire company. The name of the stove is SANTA FE.

I like this one because it is more modern looking then the others and not as expensive ($1849).
It heats up up to 1500 sq.ft. The pad is $279.

I live on the 1st floor (1300 sq.ft) but can't seem to keep my heat to myself. Instead, I am heating the 2nd floor of the house. :roll: My heating bill is aroud 250+/month and I am freezing!!!

I appreciated any info about this stove... I don't know much about the pellet stoves :down:

THANK YOU snwcube

Quadrafire makes a great pellet stove. Pellet stoves have there place. If naturalgas is not avalible in your are, then they make sense. Or if you dont want to burn dinosaurs and you like green living they make sense. If green living is not a priority, and you dont mind burning nat gas, then nat gas will be substantially cheaper to run then a pellet stove. Now, im not talking running your furnace, im talking a natural gas stove with the same output, and comparable efficiency. Pellet stoves are easy to install, and burn efficient, the drawbacks are, a dedicated fuel that you have store, when power goes out you dont have a backup source of heat, and maintenance. Pellet stoves are burning machines, not stoves. There very sophistacated these days and arent easy for the tyopical homeowner to work on. Every type of stove has its place, pellet stoves are great when there up and running, but expensive to run compared to wood or natural gas, cheap to run compared to propane and electricity, i have no idea how they compare to oil.

Check out the pellet group and corn groups on yahoo at the bottom of my post. Also iburncorn.com has an extensive pellet section. Your best bet for keeping the heat down is a couple ceiling fans. Don't forget these manufacturers ewxagerate their outputs and sf's so be aware of that. Like most things bigger is definitely better as you can always turn it down but can't create more heat if its too small. Also you want the larger btu's for heating the place up as none of these are much in the heating up a cold house dept. I have 50.000 btu Countryside heating 1400sf and it runs at between 20 - 30 k most of the winter but it does see 50 often enough for brief periods like warming the house up. Unless you are below Pennsylvania I guess off hand 40 would be the least I would want unless the house was new and highly insulated ect. Personally I don't know anything about the Santa Fe but I have seen it mentioned on a couple of those groups. Check it out.

yep, all of the above is good advice. Quad is a good brand of stove as well, dependable, with extensive dealer support. If you choose to get a stove, make sure you buy it from a dealer who you are comfortable with, someone who can service the unit. Also, make sure you secure your winters' worth of pellets early as well!
Good luck with the quad!

snwcube said:
Hello,
I am looking into buying a pellet stove. I am interested in Quadra-Fire company. The name of the stove is SANTA FE.

I like this one because it is more modern looking then the others and not as expensive ($1849).
It heats up up to 1500 sq.ft. The pad is $279.

I live on the 1st floor (1300 sq.ft) but can't seem to keep my heat to myself. Instead, I am heating the 2nd floor of the house. :roll: My heating bill is aroud 250+/month and I am freezing!!!

I appreciated any info about this stove... I don't know much about the pellet stoves :down:

THANK YOU snwcube

I think you'll like the Quad. They are simple, well built and reliable. However, any thoughts on why the heat is all going to the second floor? Is this a duplex, or condo? How is the house currently heated and how is the heating kept independent from the 2nd fl?

Status
Not open for further replies.