Buying a used Jotul 602?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
Looking at a Jotul 602. I found a used one locally, but am not sure what I should look for, or if I should go with a new one. Owner says it's the "original" model 602, FWIW, and does not have a glass door. I tried searching, but couldn't find an answer on:
1) Can I replace the door with a glass one? If so, where to buy it?
2) How can I tell if this is an EPA stove? Seems like these have been around for a while--I'd like one with a secondary burn. Do I just look for burn tubes in the firebox? Other distinguishing features?
3) Anything else that separates older/newer versions of the stove?

The older 602 is pre-EPA without secondary burn. The 602CB is the newer version with the glass door and secondary burn tubes. I don't think you can use the newer glass door on the older stove. It wasn't designed for airwash. But I haven't tried it either.

Here's a thread discussing the stove. There are several.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/36381/

BeGreen said:
The older 602 is pre-EPA without secondary burn. The 602CB is the newer version with the glass door and secondary burn tubes. I don't think you can use the newer glass door on the older stove. It wasn't designed for airwash. But I haven't tried it either.

Here's a thread discussing the stove. There are several.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/36381/
thanks for the info. So all of the EPA 602's have a glass door? If so, I guess I'd be better off with a new stove.

There are plenty of stoves with solid doors that are EPA?

That's correct. The solid door 602s are pre-EPA phase II.

Status
Not open for further replies.