Buying a Used Stove - What to Look For???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurnIt13

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2010
Central MA
Hello again! We are going to be getting a wood stove soon and since we are trying to keep a low budget, I've been trolling around craigslist looking for deals. One of the stoves we are considering is a Pacific Energy Super 27. Recently, one came up on craigslist.
http://westernmass.craigslist.org/for/1987303020.html

Its a great price, at least $1000 less than retail.....but how do I know its a great deal? What are some things I should look for? Is there any way to tell how old this stove is?

Thanks!

It's nice to see the stove in operation, so ask them to start it up if possible.

Often the sellers will know how old the stove is--if they bought it new. Otherwise you might look for a nameplate.

I'd look for bowed sides or a stove that rocks (not level) as that would be signs of over firing. Look closely for damaged or warped panels inside the stove (air wash / baffle plate). Check the edges of the door frame for cracks. Look for signs of discoloration that indicate overheating. Make sure that all components that should move do so easily and appropriately. Ask folks on here or do online research to find others who have used that make and model of stove for their opinions. Not all stoves are created equally.

pen

*If* that is a Super27, it is a real early model which also means the earlier baffle design. I would like to see a couple higher resolution images of the stove first before deciding.

You know, I think I may just bite the bullet and keep my eye and ears open for a good deal on a new stove. Although I have plenty of experience with older non-EPA stoves, I am a newbie when it comes to the fancy EPA ones. Considering that this is our first stove it would probably be best to start with a fresh canvas. That way all I have to do is worry about the wood and my methods rather than potential flaws in the stove.

Of course, I'm going to keep my eye out for stoves on here or dealer floor models....those I'm pretty sure I can buy with confidence.

Your best bet on a used one is something only a year or three old that is coming from a friend of a friend, or at least someone you trust to have not abused the stove and to let you know of any issues with it. Someone who is moving, or changing to pellets, etc. will often be willing to sell a great stove on the cheap. Many stoves on craigslist have pretty high mileage and are not great deals, considering the 30% tax credit on a new one. Englander is always a good bet for value in a new stove.

We are in peak season now. Bargains are going to be rarer and will go quickly if a good stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.