Buying advice - Quadra CB1200 or St. Croix York insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajg1

Dec 12, 2010
Central MA
Hi, first post been lurking and researching. Like the subject says appreciated any pre-purchase advice - this is all new to me, I moved to MA from Cal a year ago. I've been researching different web sites for weeks, been to multiple dealers, some more than once, reading here and have read multiple owners manuals online. Seems both of these inserts are of good quality. My limitation is the pre-fab fireplace I'm putting it in. I'm in central MA, and the room I'm putting it in is approx 300 sq ft with a vaulted ceiling with ceiling fan and an open stairway with the kids room at the top of the stairs. The house is bigger than either of these inserts are rated for so I don't expect to heat the house, but provide some assistance to the oil furnace and better local heat on this side of the house as the furnace runs constantly to keep up and I'm still sitting here wearing layers. Price wise the 1200 is going to be about $700 cheaper installed with new chimney liner because the York is not eligible for the tax credit. Most posts about either insert seem to have happy owners, but the St. Croix might have a slight edge that I didn't find any post where someone was disappointed in their purchase, seem to run a long time and is very forgiving in terms of what you can burn, while the 1200 has a few comments about parts failing early over on another web site where people post reviews. I discounted any post that looked like someone may be just not maintaining or cleaning it properly, but like I said hardly could even find one of those about the York. The York may be the better unit, but Quadra is a strong name would provide more BTUs for a lot less money.

Hearth.com is a great resource I've learned a ton over the last few weeks, and appreciate your help with anything I should consider before writing the check.

I bought my St. Croix Pepin used in 2007... except for an ignitor (this season) it has been trouble free.

Whatever you buy make sure you can easily pull the stove out for regular cleaning and maintenance.

The thing I don't like about the Quad CB1200i is it's now made in CHINA. The St. Croix York is made in the USA!! For me, that is the deciding factor. I will NOT support CHINA if I have a choice. CHINA is about to put our Catfish farmers out of business here in the south.

Another good insert to look hard at is the Enviro M55. That will be my next insert I'm thinking.

Stay Warm,

AR

I agree AR, that is a factor. The York and Castile are made in the US but the CB1200 is not. $700 is a big swing to stay in the US, I might talk to the dealer and see if they'll cut me a break on the York since it's discontinued and I know they have a black one in stock. Good point on the M55 - it looks like it would fit in my pre-fab. I wonder if made in China is one reason some people have issues with the 1200 in the first year.

Status
Not open for further replies.