Buying and Using a Draft Meter....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Val

Mar 17, 2012
NY
Since I own a 2006 Accentra, P43, and an older P38, I really have to start to learn more about the Harman stoves operation and troubleshooting. My dealer retired, closed his shop. No Harman dealers closeby.
Is there a plug/port on the back wall of the Accentra that you stick the tubing in to read the draft? Where is this plug located? Also, when it comes to draft meter varities- I have the plastic Dwyer on that you add the water to. Is that one too primitive, or just a pain to use? I can get a Magnelic brand one- theyre not that expensive but I just have to be sure I buy it with the correct range (0-1" WC?). I see electronic draft meters, with digital readouts for $100 if they are single hose. But some have 2 hose hookups and they are more money about $150. But you wouldnt need a 2 hose hookup for a pellet stove, would you?
The traditional Draft Rite and Barach meters seem overpriced. The Draft Rite is the lesser of them at $150. I wouldnt buy a used meter because I usually think they've been dropped alot or the shell is cracked.

Since I own a 2006 Accentra, P43, and an older P38, I really have to start to learn more about the Harman stoves operation and troubleshooting. My dealer retired, closed his shop. No Harman dealers closeby.
Is there a plug/port on the back wall of the Accentra that you stick the tubing in to read the draft? Where is this plug located? Also, when it comes to draft meter varities- I have the plastic Dwyer on that you add the water to. Is that one too primitive, or just a pain to use? I can get a Magnelic brand one- theyre not that expensive but I just have to be sure I buy it with the correct range (0-1" WC?). I see electronic draft meters, with digital readouts for $100 if they are single hose. But some have 2 hose hookups and they are more money about $150. But you wouldnt need a 2 hose hookup for a pellet stove, would you?
The traditional Draft Rite and Barach meters seem overpriced. The Draft Rite is the lesser of them at $150. I wouldnt buy a used meter because I usually think they've been dropped alot or the shell is cracked.

If you check your manual It should tell you where the draft port is located. On the newer Accentra FS units, you have to remove a rear shroud & plug the hose from the Magnehelic into a three way port that's installed in a tube.

I dont know about other techs for harman stoves but on harmans i almost never ever use my manometer unless i have to to satisfy tech support at harman. quads are a different story though, but a harman really just having the right hand tools and a decent digital multi-meter you can fix most issues you may encounter with no problem. however you may solve stove issues differently than I and may end up loving your draft meter but IMHO i'd save the money

Status
Not open for further replies.