Buying Bulk logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cds50

Nov 22, 2009
Western PA
I live in the Cambria County area of western PA. I see so many people buying truck loads of logs for firewood. Short of stopping at some strangers house and asking, is there some directory of these type of dealers out there? I'm haveing trouble locating one with local phone directories. Also, do you have any buying tips regarding estimated quantity, price, wood quality etc...?

Post a wanted ad on craigslist and newspaper. Check out the same sources for wood. Go to your local hardware or chainsaw store, they will have some contacts I am sure. Call excavators as they do land clearing prior to dirt work. Call sawmills, feed stores etc. Tractor supply has a bulletin board with all kinds of business cards. Watch out for logging trucks on the road and get their phone # of the door. Plenty of ways I haven't even mentioned. Tell them your looking for tree length or log length wood. The longer the cheaper. Post back on this thread when its sitting in your yard.

Will

Absolutely stop and ask them - there's thousands of people on this forum all talking the talk - your area homeowners probably would welcome a chat with you about it. Another avenue is to look up logging companies and excavating companies. Check with your local down-home chainsaw store for the loggers. If you can find someone clearing lots (gas well industry) you can usually pick up a load.

Good luck,

Bill

cds50 said:
I live in the Cambria County area of western PA. I see so many people buying truck loads of logs for firewood. Short of stopping at some strangers house and asking, is there some directory of these type of dealers out there? I'm haveing trouble locating one with local phone directories. Also, do you have any buying tips regarding estimated quantity, price, wood quality etc...?

Find somebody that sells firewood all winter - they are likely getting tri-axle or tractor trailer loads.

I asked a local wood guy and he had no problem giving me his two sources of log lengths - and now I have a load on the way for 700 bucks (8+ cords of oak).

Status
Not open for further replies.