Buzy day what is it thread?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
What you think it is? #1.jpg

BEER! ! !

Reactions: smokinj
Its apple wine 9lbs of sugar two tsp of yeast gallon of apples and two gallons of water. Should be ready for X-mass. Second 5 gallons as soon as the other kind of yeast gets her. Drive that truck Dale! Suppose to produce 23 percent. ()

23% ??? I guess 2012 will be the Christmas that nobody remembers!

23% ??? I guess 2012 will be the Christmas that nobody remembers!

lol You could be right, but I will not be drinking it. Some one will be taking Pic's or you know it never happened! :eek:

You better have some of that world record yeast for 29%!

I made some 9-10% cider and aged it about 9 years. A good chunk of it got put in a punch bowl with some fresh cider. I was called a few names the next day by friends that couldn't taste the booze.

Reactions: milleo and smokinj

I made some 9-10% cider and aged it about 9 years. A good chunk of it got put in a punch bowl with some fresh cider. I was called a few names the next day by friends that couldn't taste the booze.

Oh the yeast was more expensive than I wanted to pay. 20 small packs was almost 30.00 shiped. And suppose to make 23 percent. I have no clue what it will bring just thats what it says.

9lbs of sugar 2 gallons of water gallon of apples and two packs of that yeast.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
I'm surprised you watered down the cider at 2:1. Won't you end up with sugar water and a taste of apple in it?

My last cider was all cider and I added just 2 lbs of sugar. 9 lbs is a LOT of sugar for a 3 gallon batch, but 23% is pretty high too. Since the yeast will die out before the sugar is all gone does this make the finished product sweet?

I'm surprised you watered down the cider at 2:1. Won't you end up with sugar water and a taste of apple in it?

My last cider was all cider and I added just 2 lbs of sugar. 9 lbs is a LOT of sugar for a 3 gallon batch, but 23% is pretty high too. Since the yeast will die out before the sugar is all gone does this make the finished product sweet?

Depends on the yeast type. Shes using one to be sweet (Thats what she likes) and the second batch should be a little dryer. Now the apple's where cored and sliced (So its not a cider its more of a wine)

If the yeast craps out before the sugar is gone- it will be sweet. Specific yeast types will, under normal conditions, give dryer or sweeter product, but this aint normal conditions! I'd love to try it... after it's aged a good while. High abv stuff like that needs a long time to mellow out the side product flavors.

Reactions: smokinj
If the yeast craps out before the sugar is gone- it will be sweet. Specific yeast types will, under normal conditions, give dryer or sweeter product, but this aint normal conditions! I'd love to try it... after it's aged a good while. High abv stuff like that needs a long time to mellow out the side product flavors.

Yea I for some reason dont see her waiting much after 60 days. lol But, I am going to put a couple more bucket set-ups in the mix if it turns out good. We have lots of fuirt going on around the homestead.

I just finished my first batch of hard cider. I put in two gallons of some of the sweetest cider I've ever tasted, about 4 cups of sugar, and some champagne yeast that's supposed to produce in the 12% range. It bubbled like crazy for about two weeks and the yeast quit. I can't tell if it ran out of sugar or the alcohol killed the yeast....it is pretty dry and the ABV seems pretty high (don't have a hydrometer to confirm).

It is still kinda "yeasty" tasting so I'm going to let it age for a while before drinking it.

Next time I'll prob go with more sugar to retain some sweetness...or a different yeast.

I think you would have to "accidentally" freeze it and "accidentally" remove the ice to get to 29%...and maybe even "accidentally" freeze it again.

I think you would have to "accidentally" freeze it and "accidentally" remove the ice to get to 29%...and maybe even "accidentally" freeze it again.

It say 23 not 29 if that makes a diffrance?

Reactions: Wildo
It say 23 not 29 if that makes a diffrance?

No clue. Both sound high. Yeast is alive and it just doesn't sound right that it is able to live in something that is 23% toxic.

I know next to nothing about yeast, other than I like bread and booze.

I would think that high you would have to start distilling it.

Gary

I am ok with what ever it is.....Last just what the recipe said. I for one have no clue.:)

It is a percolator... Happy New Year... Wait What Year Is It??? We Made It To 2013 , Hmmm Must Be The Wine.

Top has been pop. Dont know what the prof is but as a regular beer drinker. Two 8 oz glass got me buzz up.....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.