Bye bye propane.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FFAMAS

Oct 4, 2012
Spring Creek, NV
Just started learning about pellet stoves a few weeks ago. Moved to Spring Creek NV last year and my first propane bill in november was $420. Not to mention I've caught the propane dude starting to fill my tank with 6 gallons already on the meter. So I installed a camera on the area and have seen very strange things while they fill. I do not trust them.
Very glad I found this forum as I was about to buy the us stove 5660 pellet stove from costco and was looking for reviews. Now I am thinking new englander is the way to go and maybe multi fuel although I have not seen any other fuel but wood pellets available in Elko NV. The local home depot has the Englaner PDVCH for $1100. My only gripe was location of control panel and that using a millivolt remote thermostat only gives temp control.
Heres my layout: 1533 sq ft. new construction, well insulated single level home. 5700' eleavation. Builder installed a stove location in central "Great Room" of home. Tiled floor and wall in a corner and installed 6" double wall roof stack. Interior connection to stack is a black "Metal Fab" 6TGRS mounted on sloped ceiling with a 6"x 1.5" single wall male connector. 93" from tile floor to Metal Fab ceiling box.
So most of the hard stuffs been done. I will have to add a fresh air line and find 4" double wall black vent pipe and adapters as home depot has zilch, and of course choose a good quiet stove and good fuel.
I do have a concern for the 2 fans noise as this unit will be within 10' of us as we watch tv. I have seen no decible ratings on stoves I have looked at. Maybe stove has to be turned off while watching tv.
Looks like "Heaters" pellets @ $209/ton is home depots offering, but that decision is down the road a bit.
Any input would be appreciated.

Do you have any stove shops near by that you can go to and get some demos? That would be a good place to start before going to the big box store were you may have no support if there is an issue with the stove.

Greetings and welcome to the forum. I'll try to answer some of your questions,with the limited amount I know. That is a reasonable price for an Englander 25pdvc, but you might do better(or you might not) on Ebay from AMFM Energy,who sells factory refurbished units, with a one year warranty ,they also have a website and sell from there also. The multifuel version 10cpm might be a better option as they are reported to burn lower quality pellets without issue, and allow options of burning other fuels(nutshells,cherry pits,corn,switch grass pellets, and Lord only knows what else may be devised). And feature on off thermostat capability. That version will cost a bit more and requires a corn vent pipe if you plan on not just using wood pellets.
If either stove fits your need, I'd first go to the England stove works website and download the free manual for whatever model, read it thoroughly, and maybe give their tech support a call as to how to vent thru your existing setup.
Noise level, one of our stoves is in our living room, I have to turn the TV volume up when the stove is in use. The corner mounted doorway fans,and ceiling fans used to distribute the heated air also contribute to the background noise level.
I'd read thru this forums many, many posts...use the search feature, and continue to learn before buying...hope this was of help.

Status
Not open for further replies.