C/S/D stacked and drying

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btj1031

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2008
NH
Here's a stack of about 3.5 cord out of the 5 I bought. Tried a different spot for drying this year, kind of in the way but it will bake in the sun all day.

Attachments

• IMG_1043.jpg
    IMG_1043.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_1044.jpg
    IMG_1044.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 388
Thanks! The third one in is leaning against the 4th one pretty good, fortunately its still standing. I try to take it slow with the stacking, with the thinking its still a better investment of time over stacking it again after it falls. This is processed wood too, so they're fairly uniform splits.

Very nice stacks, looks great.

zap

Nice work on the stacking!!! That all day sun will sure help the drying process.

Very nice stacking....

Thanks all. Like I said, its totally in the way, so it had to be stacked to look nice and tidy. I have stacked off to the side of the yard the last few years - obviously shade isn't helpful, so this year its right in the middle of the yard. Literally full day sun.

Sure looks like Dennis was at your house! lol

Hey Jay. He stacks better than I do!

J-Man, that is good work. It looks about the same height as I stack. That is, I stack usually 4-4 1/2'. If stacked at 4.5' then it will usually shrink down to 4' or less. And the only problem I can see with the pallets is frost heave. It could tend to make for some leaning. That is why I cut saplings to stack the wood on so each row is individual. I also have to say I did not do a great job of stacking this spring. I was just hurting so badly that I tended to just throw the wood into a row instead of really stacking it neatly. But Jay thinks I use a plumb line and a square when I stack. lol

Thanks Dennis. Frost heaves shouldn't be a problem here. The former owners had an in-ground pool in this spot, and they filled it in with sand before the house was sold to us. Apparently the pool was in poor shape...too bad. The fill dropped in the hole is mainly sand, so drainage is very good. Grass didn't grow too well there anyway.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hey Jay. He stacks better than I do!

J-Man, that is good work. It looks about the same height as I stack. That is, I stack usually 4-4 1/2'. If stacked at 4.5' then it will usually shrink down to 4' or less. And the only problem I can see with the pallets is frost heave. It could tend to make for some leaning. That is why I cut saplings to stack the wood on so each row is individual. I also have to say I did not do a great job of stacking this spring. I was just hurting so badly that I tended to just throw the wood into a row instead of really stacking it neatly. But Jay thinks I use a plumb line and a square when I stack. lol
Your selling yourself short sure could of fool 98 percent of us me included.

Status
Not open for further replies.