CAB50 not feeding pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DDub

Nov 23, 2020
Jay, Maine
Friday the stove was running fine, but around noon I noticed the temp was dropping. I kicked up the thermostat, the combustion blower started but no pellets dropped. I tried again with the same result. The combustion blower started and I could see the ignitor was working. I took out all the pellets and cleaned the feed tube, there were no obstruction, i reset the snap switch, put in some pellets and tried to start it again. same thing combustion blower starts, ignitors is working but no pellets. Yes, i had enough in there to start the stove. So, I went to a local dealer and spoke with him, he mentioned the number 2 snap disc and resetting it and how to bench test the auger motor. I bought a new switch. I installed the new snap switch still the same. I bench tested the auger motor and it worked with another source of electricity. I then called the dealer I bought the stove from and he explained how to by-pass the hopper switch and the vacuum switch. I tried to start the stove and it worked. I let it cycle and cool down so that I could try again. I let two hours go by and tried again and the feed did not work, again. I talked to dealer number two again and he said it could only be the thermocouple. Which I regrettably bought, installed and it as not the problem. I am totally dumbfounded.

I should mention this is a new control unit that was installed four weeks ago and the stove was running daily until Friday.

Also, if I do a start up and hand feed pellets, they will ignite but no will drop. I can hand feed until the convection fan comes and it shuts down like normal

Did you remove the auger motor to test?
Is the set screw tight on the auger feed spring shaft?
Welcome to the forum

Thank you!

Yes, I took the whole auger assembly out and tested it.

And yes the set screw was nice and tight and not movement.

Suspect vacuum switch is faulty. By pass it again and try restarting. That or the hopper switch is bad. Same bypass technique and see what happens.

Is the stove on a surge protector?

Reactions: johneh
Well if you jumped the vac switch and hopper switch , changed #2 snap disc.is the thermocouple over the pot in the path of the fire? something may have happened to your new control board. I know that’s not what you wanna hear but thats all that’s left

Last edited:
Could be the small green pico fuse on control board, or the 7 pin auger driver chip. Replaced those over the years on several boards. But that's probably beyond the interest here. One final check would be to measure for voltage on auger circuit, but if a short circuit occured in the auger circuit the board components get zapped quickly unfortunately.

That was my thought. Is there a way for a dealer to test the control box? It was very obvious when the other one went, Just odd, that there is power going through the snap disc to the motor, I will have to find an open dealer tomorrow, the two locals are closed for the week.

Some dealers have the tester but they should have a stove they can put yours in and try it

If power is getting to the motor, and the motor is good, then the neutral is probably bad/disconnected, or has a bad switch in it.

I just preformed the control panel diagnostic test that was sent with the new control panel, you set the box to zero, bypass the #1 snap disc and vacuum switch. plugged the stove back in and the combustion fan, the convection fan, the ignitor and the feed auger are all supposed to start (individually) and run for ten seconds. each fired as the were supposed to except the feed motor. So is this telling me the feed motor is bad or the control box?

Check your wires from the auger/feed motor. As heat seeker said your neutral/ ground may be bad just for that motor.

Bump the thread with similar problem. New control board, new auger motor. Vac switch, snap #1 and #3 all confirmed working.
Starts as designed but auger will not turn unless snap disc #2 is jumpered.
Is snap #2 supposed to exercise on temp change? Also on start up (cold) it should be “closed” to allow power through then open/close to turn auger through burn duration? Or does the control board exercise the auger to periodically drop pellets?

You need a new #2 snap disk. The control board sets the timing for the auger.

Thanks I’ll see if I can find one locally.
curious though is it normally closed or open at room temp? Because if I jumper the disc out by connecting its two leads together the auger runs continuously and it does not seem as though the board stops it.

It is a NO /normally open . close on rise 120 ::F. If the auger runs continuously you have a board problem. Did you unplug the stove when you installed all the new parts?

I pulled the snap and it was open (no continuity with multi meter) then heated it out of the stove near a lighter flame and it did not close, will replace.
As far as board, yes unplugged will try diagnostics sequence that came with instructions with new board.
Thanks for advice

i know quads have a setting adjustment on 1 side of the box, does your install instruction for the box have any notations on settings.