Cabinet Transformations by Rust-oleum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTburning

Nov 9, 2008
Western CT
Has anyone tried and seen the end result of the RUST-OLEUM product Cabinet Transformations? My girlfriend wants a new kitchen but after sitting down at Home Depot, the thought of dumping 10-15k in kitchen cabinets and counter tops... lets just say, not going to happen. I could have it done for a lot less from a friend of a friend but that is a huge project. I saw this product on one of the diy type shows and found it in Home Depot and Lowes. At most it would cost $250 plus new hardware and could be done in a couple of weekends.

My main concern is durability. Is it going to look nice for 6 months and then be chipped and look like crap.

My cabinets are inexpensive cabinets from the late 70's with wood veneer but are solid. I've seen the glaze finish on some of the cabinets in the box stores and I have to say it doesn't matter what they are made out of, they are essentially painted cabinets. If anyone has any experience, their advice would be appreciated. Thanks

No real answer to your questions about the paint . . . but have you explored the idea of refacing the cabinets?

If refacing is going to cost a couple grand then I would just hold off and put in new cabinets when I feel more secure about the economy. I would enjoy installing backsplash, painting and refinishing the cabinets and even though I think it would be time consuming, it would be manageable. What I like about the product is the ease of application and the claimed durability. My father installed a similiar product on his deck and a year later, it still looks like new. Even if it only looks good for 7-10 years, I would be happy with that. Since I started this post I found several nice reviews on the product from sites other than the manufacturer. Unfortunately it has only been around for six months or so and that is not enough time to test for durability.

Status
Not open for further replies.