Cable Blocks for Firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMonter

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2007
Hayden, ID
Does anyone else here use a snatch block when getting firewood? Because I get wood in the national forest I use a 100' cable and block to drag logs onto the road.

By the way this is a little Craigslist gem I picked up recently. Skookum blocks go for $100-200 new and I picked this one up used for $40

Attachments

• Firewood Snatch Block.gif
    Firewood Snatch Block.gif
    224.2 KB · Views: 565
The combination of your avatar pic and the title to this thread leads me to believe that maybe some of Freuds theories were true!

I've been teaching my best friend some rigging techniques this summer, his lot is literally the side of a mountain, he has to drag/haul most of his wood up probably 300' vertical to the house. I showed him some rescue rigs that he can use, he's been acquiring blocks and such to use. They are extremely pricey, I had a couple that I bought at a marine salvage store, the price of new ones shocked me! I would love to have a gas-powered capstan winch, but that's a few years off in the toy race.

Prior to rigging and dragging, he was literally throwing the rounds up the hill, then moving and throwing them again. Needless to say, he's been an attentive pupil! I just try to find wood closer to a road.

hilly said:
The combination of your avatar pic and the title to this thread leads me to believe that maybe some of Freuds theories were true!

Kind of ironic the timeline now that you mention it (shaking my head-chuckling).

Snatch blocks...don't use em' too often though. Generally...If I have to break out that kind of gear and associated hardware... it's way too much work for what it's worth IMHO.

But then again...each is to own.

On a side note TMo... I know my eyesight 'ain't exactly what it used to be'...

But If my eyes 'guess right'...

Is that lady in the avatar "Holding a straight razor"???

And if so?? Is that a particular 'varmit' that likes to build with/chew on wood in the sink???

If so...all I gotta say is this:

Cute! :)

Now did you edit the title...or did the 'establishment'??? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.