cable puller / come along recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FLINT

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2008
Western VA Mtns.
Looks like one of these.
http://www.wyeth-scott.com/
Its a couple bucks cheaper from the manufacturer.
I bought one of these about 12 years ago. It is a serious puller, high quality, heavy-duty tool. It is a little clunky to work with, but I still recommend it. From the manufacturer's website you can also get different lengths of cable or additional lengths.

Hey I use a 2 ton come-a-long. You can buy 'em for 25 bucks or so. Some cost more, some less. I found mine at a yard sale. Works fine for me, I just use rope or chain to get set up a safe distance from the tree then attach the come-a-long to that.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/TD-Industrial-2-ton-Double-Gear-Come-along/1174882/product.html

L1016810.jpg

I also have a cheap 2 ton come-a-long. It does not get much use. In the last 30 years of cutting firewood I have used it exactly one time. I can usually get a tree down even if it is hung without using a come-a-long or even a tractor.

Cool, thanks for the links guys.

yeah, word has gotten around a little that I can take down trees, so I've had to take quite a few down in people's yards and in area's where they had specific instructions about trees not to hit, etc. so I like to have some insurance. a couple times i've resorted to using my heavy duty ratchet strap to give a tree a little persuasion, but that obviously isn't a good practice.

I own the More Power Puller. Decided I wanted the strongest one I could buy if I was gonna own one. Primarily bought it in case I got my truck stuck off the beaten path. Like previous poster said, powerful but slightly clunky. I figure it will be worth it's weight in gold whenever I need it.

For trees only, I might be inclined to get a $25 one. I look for one with a double gear and pawl design. Some of the cheapies are only single gear/pawl. Some come with longer cable than others which is also an important consideration in getting the longest pull witout having to reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.