Calibrating temp probe on Lopi Flex 95

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtek

Dec 7, 2010
Rhode Island
Hi,
On the advice of another forum member I stared calibrating the temperature probe on our Lopi Flex 95 Cat woodstove. There's a picture of the scale below. Their is a shaped rod that goes through the face of the stove and sticks into the catalytic converter. The rod (I suppose)transmits the heat to the bi-metallica spring behind the gauge on the exterior which in turn, moves the pointer.

Using our kitchen stove I heated it to 200F. It was indicating 380F. I twisted the face around so it would read 200F and put it back into the stove and raised the stove temp to 300F. Now it's reading 700F !! This after it had already been adjusted down 180F That means at and actual 300F it would have read 880F.

Can they actually be this far off or am I doing something completely stupid?? (Wouldn't be the first time!!)

Thanks,
Jim (Pic below)

Attachments

• Temp.jpg
    Temp.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 277
You can't calibrate a probe thermometer in an oven. The dial spring was calibrated to read temps from the rod, placing the whole thing into the oven will make it read high. If you drilled a hole into your oven and stuck the probe through it, it would be more accurate. A better test would be to stick it into a pot of boiling water.

That's a pity. The problem with the boiling water is that the scale on the thing only starts at 200F and I suspect that drilling a hole into the oven might generate some comments from she-who-must-be-obeyed!!! :)

Is there a way to replace the thing?? I doubt I'd be able to source a new one from Lopi as the stove was made in 1992.

Jim

Thanks. I just fired off an email to see if one of theirs will fit.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.