Calling Englander 30 or Drolet HT2000 owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yukiginger

Nov 20, 2005
Need some help: I'm considering using one of these stoves at a masonry fireplace that currently holds a woodburning insert. (I've had some issues with the insert and the blower and I'm considering going with a freestanding and larger unit that I could still place halfway or more into the actual fireplace and protrude out onto the raised hearth.) I've got the dimensions of these two units off the manufacturers' sites but what I need to know is this: how tall these units are without the pedestals attached and in addition to that does anything protrude below the box that must be accounted for in this dimension.

Yes, I need to know if I can fit these into my fireplace opening with no pedestal or legs attached, to use as basically an insert. The Drolet's site seems to suggest that it's about 24" tall even without the pedestal and the Englander I'm told is about 21" without the pedestal but that the back of the slide damper sticks down a bit. I need to know this critical information as my fireplace opening is right at 24" high. My plan is to install short bolts for feet if needed for leveling issues as well as needed height for anything that protrudes below the main box of the stove.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Calling Brotherbart in this one.

You can also call Englander direct - they have outstanding customer support. The number is (800) 245-6489.

Good luck!
Bill

You have to use the legs or the ped on the 30-NC. The ash pan and the primary air intake box are on the bottom of the stove. It wouldn't sit down flat.

BrotherBart said:
You have to use the legs or the ped on the 30-NC. The ash pan and the primary air intake box are on the bottom of the stove. It wouldn't sit down flat.

Brother Bart, so how much space is necessary for the primary air intake? I am okay with not using the ash pan.

Thanks.

yukiginger said:
BrotherBart said:

Brother Bart, so how much space is necessary for the primary air intake? I am okay with not using the ash pan.

Thanks.

Doesn't matter if you are OK with using the ash pan or not. The box it slides into is welded to the bottom of the stove. Another thing you have to consider is that to get the most benefit you need a blower to get the heat out of the fireplace. And the blower for the 30 mounts on the back. So you can't get to it to clean it or replace it without pulling the liner out of the stove and pulling the stove out of the fireplace.

BrotherBart, thanks again for the response. Actually I was looking at the Englander 30 unit because it looks to me that the blower system would not be that effective given the fact that it is only blowing air up the backside of the unit (between the main box and the rear heat shield). I like the idea of exposing the sides more so I could use a standard room fan to move air past the unit. This also, of course, cuts down on the dimensions of the unit. I would not use a blower at all and I understand perfectly well the issues of moving air whether it be by blower or fan to heat my house. I have owned freestanding and inserts. The insert requires a blower for sure because you are sealing it off and they are all built with a jacket around the main box that traps the heat in my opinion, so the only way to get effective heat is to use the blower. I'm looking at options because I'm sick of the noisy blower I have on my unit (which I paid really good money for) and I've had blowers wear out on me and I've only owned the unit for 6 years. I had a medium Lopi freestander that threw great heat off it with or without a blower.

My trouble is finding a freestander that I might be able to use without major, costly modifications to my fireplace and hearth, thus my original question/post about these two large wood stoves. They are in the price range that I could afford to be in, also.

Thanks again for your help.

Some inserts convect much better than others. The PE Summit insert is designed to convect without power and it has a very quiet blower. Also there is the Regency H2100 Hearth Heater, though that may be a bit small for your needs.

From the sounds of it, this would be a replacement for the Quad 4100i. Is that correct? Can you add your two stoves to your signature?

Yes, BeGreen, I currently run a Quad 4100i as my insert. I also had a Lopi 380-96 (Endeavor model predecessor) installed in my basement for a year or two (since removed).

I can see why the 4100i may not convect well. It looks almost flush. Have you looked into Enviro inserts? They have a good reputation and are also designed to convect if the power is off. The Enviro Venice 1700 is a real good looker too.

Thanks BeGreen. Those do appear to be nice units, but I was hoping to upsize also, which is why I was looking at the more affordable large (3 cu. ft. and up) freestanding units.

The Summit insert is 3 cu ft. If your fireplace can handle it, the Buck 94 is really big. Needs an 8" flue and fireplace clearances of 31-3/4" W x 23-1/2" H x 15-1/2" D

Status
Not open for further replies.