Can anyone ID this stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LT1Pat

Jan 28, 2010
Lake Orion, MI
I'm having a rough time finding any company name on this stove. All I found was a patent number written on the backside of the door. The patent number is 4206743 but after searching for the inventors name it currently looks like he's a trucker now. The main reason I'm trying to ID is it that the left door glass is missing. I took out the right door and it's really just a thin layer of what appears to be clear ceramic sheet about the thickness of some thick paper. Is there a place I can just order some new plastic? Also, the blower motors don't work and I removed them to look up the part numbers and nothing comes up. It's a gould fan # 991-4479 type "b-xf-tp" but google shows nothing.

DSC_0252.jpg

We just jerked one of those big boys out not too long ago. I believe is is made by fisher. I grabbed the fans out of the thing and threw them in the shed. If you could post a picture of the fans I will see if they are the same thing. They might be something someone made fit but I don't think so.

It's to bad the scrap guys came last week, I could have gotten the glass from it too

I knew these guys would hook you up!

Rick(from mm)

Old guys and trivia, you know!

Look at the top plate of that stove - 5/16 or thicker. If you moved some of them, you would remember too....

If you want to get even scarier, some little nitpicks with that model - originally the glass was only held in with "tinnerman" clips...those push-on do-dads that are used for little toys (wagon wheels) and some car decorative parts. The heat made them fail.......

The upper baffle was made of ceramic board which tended to come out of place and fall down since it was so lightweight.

Any opinions on whether or not it's a decent stove or is it just junk?

Webmaster said:

Look at the top plate of that stove - 5/16 or thicker. If you moved some of them, you would remember too....

If you want to get even scarier, some little nitpicks with that model - originally the glass was only held in with "tinnerman" clips...those push-on do-dads that are used for little toys (wagon wheels) and some car decorative parts. The heat made them fail.......

The upper baffle was made of ceramic board which tended to come out of place and fall down since it was so lightweight.

Well, it was total top of the line when it came out...or at least promoted as such. It was claimed to have a great secondary burn, etc.

It certainly was not built cheaply.

BUT, back then was before everyone used chimney relining and, as a result, many chimneys did not have enough draft to make this sucker work right.

With a really good draft and full chimney reline, it might just kick butt.

And to comment on the clips the right door still had that crappy clip holding in the plastic! That plastic must not be original either so I probably have to get both sets of glass for it. Should I be able to see if the upper baffle is still in there? Any ideas where I should start looking for glass or custom glass cutting places?

Webmaster said:

What if you have a massive chimney?

I don't really want to spend too much money considering I use geothermal but I think it would be cool to get this running to sometimes supplement the heat. The chimney goes right through the floor into the basement where the stove is.

IMG_0445-1.jpg

Webmaster said:
Well, it was total top of the line when it came out...or at least promoted as such. It was claimed to have a great secondary burn, etc.

It certainly was not built cheaply.

BUT, back then was before everyone used chimney relining and, as a result, many chimneys did not have enough draft to make this sucker work right.

With a really good draft and full chimney reline, it might just kick butt.

I you mod the stove so you can hook up a direct connect to past the damper area - and you block off the damper with a block off plate, a chimney of that height should do the job. This assumes that chimney is in good shape and safe.
Since this unit had a 8" chimney and that is an interior chimney, you should be in the ball park of proper operation. The main thing is a good seal and direct connection. We installed some of these in marginal chimneys and the results were not good - it needs a decent draft.

LT1PAT,

Did you ever find a replacement blower that worked well for this stove. I purchased one of these stoves and it didn't come with a blower. I have been trying to find a blower that will work but I have been doing it blind since I have no visual on what kind of blower it came with(until now). It would be great if you or someone else that has purchased one could send me in the right direction.

Thanks

Webmaster said:

What do you mean "old guys?" You are still young Craig. Just mature.

The Baffle in mine is steel!

Crane, did you get it up and running yet?

Cheers Hiram

Measure the blower wheel section. Depending on how much space there is underneath, you may be able to adapt a blower like the model B22508 on this page:
http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/fasco/fasco_blower.htm

Or perhaps one of these Fasco blowers will fit in there:

http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/4852/23054/Replacement-Stove-Blowers/Fasco-Stove-Blower.html
http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/4852/632642/Replacement-Stove-Blowers/Stove-Blower-Kit.html
http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/4852/638042/Replacement-Stove-Blowers/Stove-Blower.html

If all else fails, take it into a good electric motor shop and ask them to rebuild it for you or provide a replacement.

I love all this old stove talk.
You guys and your ingenuity and knowledge always amaze and interest me.

This is a great site.
Privelige Gents.

Hiram,

I fired this thing up once just to see what it was like. It worked great and it seems one could really get the heat cranking out of it with some small adjustments. It looks like there is all kinds of places you guys know of that will get me a blower that I can make work. Thanks.

Good to hear!

As Craig stated the stove was pretty advanced for the time period. Once she gets up to temperature put it in the "Low Burn" position and watch the secondaries in the top windows. :cheese:

That stove saved my butt in a 6 day power outage, after a nasty ice storm in February 1996. My neighbors house got down to 46°F while my Grandmother and I stayed toasty warm!

Your going to have to report back on how it works for you this Winter.

That stove is what started my wood heating obsession. I'm really happy that you got her installed.

I just picked up one of these oldie, but hopefully, goodies. Complete with blowers and all the glass. Nice to see there is a forum to see what others are up to.

Status
Not open for further replies.