Can anyone ID this tree/wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machria

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2012
Brookhaven, Long Island
Got some of this wood mixed in with some wood I scrounged up from "Sandy". I'm guessing it will burn great, but not put out much BTU's much like pine but that is a complete guess.

I LOVE the way it splits, just a touch with the splitter and it splits perfectly straight, easy every time.

What is this?

Attachments

• Bark.JPG
    Bark.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 143
  • Endgrain.JPG
    Endgrain.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Split1.JPG
    Split1.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 112
Bark looks like the Tulip (poplar) we have here in Indiana. Im not sure if you have that around there. Poplar of some variety is my guess.

We do have ALOT of maple around, and it did feel and look like a maple tree on the outside (heavy, looked like maple bark...) but, I don't remember maple being this soft on the inside and so easy to split. Once it cracked with very little pressure from the splitter, it split all the way down the log imeadiately, no "Strings" or anything holding the splits together as happends sometimes with very fresh, green/wet wood.

Soft maple splits really easy (a good one for young guys to start with while learning how to split) and makes decent firewood but not for long burns. Split it into 1" squares and it makes excellent kindling wood too.

Reactions: ScotO
Looks like silver maple, but also kinda like norway maple.......great stuff, have some in the stove right now. Seasons fast, burns hot, and leaves nothing but powder behind. Doesn't last really long in the stove, but makes great start-up or shoulder season wood.

Looks like silver maple, but also kinda like norway maple.......great stuff, have some in the stove right now. Seasons fast, burns hot, and leaves nothing but powder behind. Doesn't last really long in the stove, but makes great start-up or shoulder season wood.
+1, had this earlier in the year and started a post asking the same question, burning some of it now since its shoulder season, burns quick but ok.

I vote soft maple. Good fire wood.
It's BTUs ;)

Split it into 1" squares and it makes excellent kindling wood too.
funny you say that, that is exactly what I was doing with it last night. Splitting the HELL out of it, till it was down to 2" or less, thin long sliver splits for kindling. Just cause it was so easy to do with it...

Status
Not open for further replies.