Can anyone recommend a good humidifier?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iskiatomic

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2008
Central CT
Obviously I have the humidifiers on the stove top in the basement, but need more moist air for the main living area. Can anyone recommend a good humidifier with a fairly large capacity, low or no maintenance for about 1100 square feet. I have no problem paying for a quality product, however the highest price is not always the best. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KC

We have been using something similar to this http://www.amazon.com/427-300-2-Speed-Evaporative-Console-Humidifier/dp/B0000D8EJS/ref=pd_sbs_k_1 . Made by Essick. This brand makes a whole range of similar units so This isn't the exact one. It definately puts mouisture into the air. Has two easy to fill tanks. Fill once a day when really dry = 12 gallons. Was about $150 at local big box home improvement type store. Apparently Kenomore has a similar product that has received good ratings also.

I love mine.

http://www.jardenstore.com/product.aspx?bid=14&pid=3356&cid=1501

Inexpensive, has a humidity meter to tell you exactly what the humidity is..... it puts up to 3 gallons of water in the air each day. Uses minimal electricity to power only a fan (no heater) and has a "humidistat" that shuts of the unit when room humidity reaches your preferred level and re-starts the fan when the air gets dry. Easy to clean, which I do about once a week.

The Venta Airwasher:

http://www.venta-airwasher.com/

Pretty decent prices on factory refurbished units.

I am using two of them. One stays downstairs, runs on high speed, and put about 5 gallons a day of moisture into the air. The other is occasional use upstairs in a dry bedroom. Beyond humidification they also clean the air (it is amazing how much dust etc. is collected and eliminated when you change out the water).

This has been discussed in other links and from what I've seen everyone that has one is pleased.

I purchased a new Kenmore console model on ebay for i think it was $16.00 + $18.00 shipping. $34.00 for a new $169.00 humidifier was a steal. It holds 2-5 gallon water bottles, and on low lasts 24 hours or a tad more.
Works great in my 2666 sf (per recent reassessment). ;( Usually fill the bottles up once a day like clock work.

I just buy those cheap sub-$20 Vicks warm air humidifiers. They last for a couple, three years before they start getting weird and need tobe repaced.

Tried the fan powered cool mist humidifiers in the past and they just make the place feel cold.

What about mineral deposits on things like the TV screen and other stuff? Our water has minerals in it that show up on glass surfaces and many metal surfaces. Do any of these products mentioned counteract the mineral issue? Thanks--

iskiatomic & JFK
Do either of you have duct work in your house? (for heat or Air conditioning) if you do take a look at the Honeywell HM506H8908 - True STEAM™ Humidifier System you can get one for under $300 and install it in under an hour. The unit will boil water and inject it into the supply air on your HVAC system. The humidifier will turn on the fan ONLY on the HVAC system to circulate the humidity. Of course if you don't have duct work this won't work for you but it think it going to be great for me.

Texas boy said:
What about mineral deposits on things like the TV screen and other stuff? Our water has minerals in it that show up on glass surfaces and many metal surfaces. Do any of these products mentioned counteract the mineral issue? Thanks--

If you buy the steam type (like the cheap Vick's ones), they don't leave the white residue on everything because they boil the water. All the minerals are left in the bottom of the water tub & just have to be dumped out.

Like this:
http://www.sunbeam.com/productdetail.aspx?section=health-and-home&cid=36&pid=1112

Not this (it leaves the white residue if you have hard water):
http://www.sunbeam.com/productdetail.aspx?section=health-and-home&cid=36&pid=939

The evaporative pad type don't leave a residue, except they aren't really recommended for use with hard water because the pad builds up with mineral scale.

But before you go crazy with humidifiers, check all the weatherstripping around your house and try to make it as airtight as possible. Just doing that might raise the humidity enough to eliminate the need for a humidifier.
At the VERY least, it'll reduce the amount of water the humidifier goes through.

Texas boy said:

The Venta keeps the minerals out of the air. So will most (all?) units that have a filtration system as well as all that boil the water to create steam. At one time or another I have used all three types, but like the Venta best.

I didn't like the filtration units because replacing the filters was frequent and costly.

I liked the steam units pretty well. Had one that worked for a couple of years and would have bought another if I hadn't seen the Venta. The only real maintenance chore was getting the buildup off of the heating element every week or two. Not too bad (although it doesn't just brush off like the brochure would tell you).

The Venta is faraway the best (IMO). The downside to the Venta is cost; they only become reasonable if you get a refurbished unit at 1/2 price or find a pretty deep discount somewhere. As to maintenance, a thorough cleaning of the holding tank every couple of week is essential (that is where you will get all of the crud out of the bottom of the tank). Then refill with water and the water treatment formula. The water treatment is essential but it only needs to be replaced every couple of weeks (it doesn't evaporate with the water). The cost of the water treatment is about $20 for a heating season's supply. About mid season and at the end of the year I run it with either vinegar or another Venta formula (the "cleaner") to get rid of all the build up. That's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.