can i burn pine?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishing Randy

Oct 2, 2007
Hi Everyone,

I have two wood stoves a Jotul 400 and a England Stove Works 28-3500 wood furnace. I just got stiffed by the wood guys here who said they were delivering all hardwood to me but dropped of an 18 wheeler of Pine, now they wont take it back, can I burn it in my stoves safely? Thanks for your help!
Randy

All I burn in my Jotuls (F100 and F3CB) is pine. Just has to be dry like any other wood and it burns hot and fast with no coals left to speak of.

It will leave more fluffy soot in the pipes than hardwood but I have never had any creosote problems with it..

I would call whoever regulates the sale of firewood in your state before you burn or touch any of it, that's a bunch of bull, so many con men selling wood it's ridiculous, I've bought wood from 10 diff people in 4 years and of those I'd recommend 1 and only 1, sad state of affairs.

No, i wouldn't. but to ease your situation, you can ship all the pine to me. I will make sure it is dispoed of properly.

Yes, of couse you can burn pine. don't be silly

Call the dept. of weights and measures. It's against the law in NY state to sell softwood unless specified before the sale. Maybe the same law in your state. If the wood was given to you burn it.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
Call the dept. of weights and measures. It's against the law in NY state to sell softwood unless specified before the sale. Maybe the same law in your state.

That's the one I was thinking of... I can never remember the name, thanks Lees Wood.

How much did you pay for it? If you feel like you got ripped off, call your Agriculture and /or Natural Resources department. Firewood is one of the oldest commodities and, at least in Maryland, is very defined and regulated. Pine isn't as good as oak or other hardwood, but has its advantages. Cut the air back and be prepared to refill it more frequently.

No....90% of our wood is pine and it gets very cold here so any of us with wood stoves must have our wood imported from the south if we want to burn.
Of course you can burn pine. I heat my home with it 24/7 8 to 10 months a year. No worrys exept for the fact that your suplier just bent you over. :wow:
Nice avitar by the way. Where are you from? Looked like a nice steelhead. :coolsmile:

Fishing Randy said:
Hi Everyone,

I have two wood stoves a Jotul 400 and a England Stove Works 28-3500 wood furnace. I just got stiffed by the wood guys here who said they were delivering all hardwood to me but dropped of an 18 wheeler of Pine, now they wont take it back, can I burn it in my stoves safely? Thanks for your help!
Randy
I hope you didnt pay him for it, or he made some concesions to you. I think if that happened to me somebody would be getting my size 14 boot in there ass

Was the "it's bad to burn pine" thing from the old days when the stoves internal temperatures were not able to get hot enough for consistant secondary burn? I could see a creosote problem if I had a stove that didn't do a good job of burning off the smoke and then if I dampered it down trying to get longer burns, I would have a cool very smokey fire that would leave a nice trail of creosote behind. I burned some Jack Pine or Pitch pine and it was very smokey even with having been split, and stacked for well over a year. The stove top was at 700 and the secondary was engaged and you could still see black smoke coming off of the burning wood. Great heat and there is all you could ask for for free up here in the Hardwood country of New England.

Hi Everyone thanks for your responses. I didn't pay them yet because they didn't give me what they said they were going too. I will have to try and burn pine one day, I have always heard it is not good to burn soft woods so I was just wondering. I live in Sussex county NJ, the wood was delivered from NY state which is right over the border from me.

That steelhead is from a lake Ontario tributary, I used to live close to Rochester where I could enjoy good winter fishing all the time! I still drive up several times in the winter to fish the erie and ontario tributaries. How cold does it get in Yukon?

First load of wood I ever bought and burned was pine. ( I live in the shadow of the Rockies so there is lots of pine available - especially now due to vast amounts of dead trees killed by beetles.)

I learned very quickly that pine burns very quickly and therefore a cord of pine doesn't go nearly as far as a cord of hardwoods.

I now use pine to get my insert going and then use hardwoods for the rest of the day. A cord lasts several years this way. That first cord was gone within about a month...

I burn about 3 cords of hardwood a year and burn 24/7 from Oct. to about the end of April.

I know here that a cord of pine costs less than a cord of hardwood so if you keep the load of wood make sure he isn't charging you for hardwood.

Hmm, interstate commerce, Federal offense then. You have two issues:
1) you didn't get the product you ordered. There is a big difference in heat value between pine and oak. If the oil company delivered an oil product that produced 40% less heat would you stand for it?
2) you are concerned about burning pine. Well, it will burn fine, but you will be refilling your stove every 2 hrs instead of 5-6 hrs. Pine burns well, but it is short lived.

Bottom line, you didn't get what you ordered. The seller has violated interstate commerce laws and delivered an inferior product. Tell them to take it back and either deliver what was ordered or face the legal consequences.

Fishing Randy said:
Hi Everyone thanks for your responses. I didn't pay them yet because they didn't give me what they said they were going too. I will have to try and burn pine one day, I have always heard it is not good to burn soft woods so I was just wondering. I live in Sussex county NJ, the wood was delivered from NY state which is right over the border from me.

That steelhead is from a lake Ontario tributary, I used to live close to Rochester where I could enjoy good winter fishing all the time! I still drive up several times in the winter to fish the erie and ontario tributaries. How cold does it get in Yukon?
-55C so far as the extreme for me. Lotsa -30 & 40c in the bowels of winter. The pine does just fine.

Option 3) Agree with the seller on a reduced price based on the value of what the load of pine would be worth and keep it.

Don't pay or cancel your check or credit card ASAP and tell them to come get it. Tell them they can offer you a reduced price if you want to-just don't put up with this crap. If you already paid them there is small claims court. Just don't use it until this is settled.

Not trying to start a war but I disagree on the reduced price, unless it's free. I'd tell them either pick it up or they can leave it for free. The reason I say this is around me wood is pricey for the northeast and free hardwood impossible to get. Now all that said, I can still get all the free pine I want, sometimes even delivered. So to me I'll burn some pine, but I sure wouldn't pay for it. Just my .02, but in light of this thread I'll call it my .01 ;-)

SPED said:
Not trying to start a war but I disagree on the reduced price, unless it's free. I'd tell them either pick it up or they can leave it for free. The reason I say this is around me wood is pricey for the northeast and free hardwood impossible to get. Now all that said, I can still get all the free pine I want, sometimes even delivered. So to me I'll burn some pine, but I sure wouldn't pay for it. Just my .02, but in light of this thread I'll call it my .01 ;-)
Just an example for pricey$. Pine is $210-225$ A cord here and our mountains & valleys are covered with them.
Standing dead is all we are allowed to cut here. Cutting live trees is illegal. Oh $180 a cord for a log length load min 8 cord.

Attachments

• Emerald.jpg
    Emerald.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 795
When I first started to heat with wood, I had a load of very nice oak delivered. The seller told me over the phone that is was all fully seasoned. When it showed up on my driveway, it was freshly split and the smell of oak permeated the entire neighborhood. The wood was nearly beet red and was as green as it could get. I had not paid him yet, so I called him and said that I would be happy to give him the price for green wood, or he could come back and pick it up. Amazingly, he chose to return and picked up every last piece and even apologized to my wife.

I suggest that you do the same. Offer him the going price for pine if you want it, or tell him to simply come and pick up his wood.

Dan

A logging truck full of pine is running around $1200 to 1400 Cdn around the Kootenays right now. Burns quicker. Great for starting a fire. I like to mix it in with the harder stuff just for fun. Two birch and one pine.

Seems to dry quicker than a lot of wood. Or maybe it just cracks more?

It gets my dander up that they tried to pull a fast one. If they get away with it, this practice will continue and there will be more victims. Tell them if they want payment to deliver what you ordered and take back the kindling.

The issue is not about burning pine. Many of us have done that and yes, it burns. The question is whether you want to burn twice. Accepting the load of wood is the first burn. I know if I order hardwood, that is what I intended to order and expect to use. If you ordered a nice oak livingroom furniture set and they delivered the same set but in pine, would you accept it?

Fishing Randy said:
Hi Everyone,

Randy

Can we see a pic of the load?

Your Jotul was designed and tested in Norway where there are many, many softwood forests. Clearly the only issue you have is the reduced burn time and heat output of pine compared to say maple or oak, besides the disappointment . The seller should be dealt with appropriately, for a price adjustment or he can pick up the wood stick by stick. Enjoy your stoves!

Status
Not open for further replies.