Can I vent the exhaust from a pelelt stove out an existing gas fireplace chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

p472bwc

Dec 11, 2010
West Michigan
I have a double-wide with a gas fireplace with a chimney out the roof. I want to put a pellet stove in front of the fireplace and run the exhaust out the gas fireplace chimney. Is this a good idea? Are there any issues I need to be aware of? I'm pretty handy and I want to do this myself. Any input is MUCH appreciated.

I'm not sure but i think the existing pipe is not suited for a pellet stove, but I'm sure some one will come along from this site and help you out.

The pipe will probably be alright, though I don't know what you have.., but/you can absolutely NOT hook up two appliances to the same flue.

Yes there are issues to be aware of, the gas piping is not to code for use with a pellet stove.

You must vent using the pipe specified by the stove manufacturer.

i suppose runnig standard pellet vent pipe up the flue and out the top would work provided it met clearaces as though the gas pipe wasnt there it would be the same as a chase. but i would not do a direct dump or direct connect to the existing flue unless it was rated for solid fuel ul-103 or ul-103ht

If you ran pellet vent up the chimney that would be fine it is rated only a 1 inch to combustibles. you would need to get a flashing to terminate at the top. hopefully the flue is a straight shot.

You can not adapt a pellet stove into an existing vent configuration for a gas stove. Gas stove vent pipe, most of the time, is aluminum. You will probably need to use stainless steel flex liner to go from the stove all the way to the top of the existing flue.

CJ-SR4ever said:
You can not adapt a pellet stove into an existing vent configuration for a gas stove. Gas stove vent pipe, most of the time, is aluminum. You will probably need to use stainless steel flex liner to go from the stove all the way to the top of the existing flue.

Cj..... Thats a Really old post.. 5 months late on that one.

But dang it he found one he knew the answer to. :lol:

The correct answer here is yes, you can....maybe. If the vent existing has a stainless inner flue, then yes. The gas may have been vented into a really cheap class A. IF it is aluminum, you can run a stainless liner up the center and still maintain clearances, however; you will need a special termination cap and be careful when you remove the the existing one that the whole chimney doesn't fall down! :p

Your clearances below will need to be notes as well. You cannot run a stainless liner out of the back of the stove into a combustible area such as a manufactured chimney chase.

Are we talking running the gas and pellets stove through the same chimney or replacing the gas with pellets?

We did just that, had a gas fireplace that we got the propane company out to the house- they killed the gas to the line, cut the pipe off and disconnected the stove. Pellet dealer came, ran the vent pipe up the chimney, put a cap on the top and hooked up the stove. Took all of about 30 min and works like a charm.

BrotherBart said:
But dang it he found one he knew the answer to. :lol:

HA HA....... Just trying to help, one thing that erks me is when people dont install stoves to code.

If I were doing this conversion, I would install a regular pellet vent up the gas vent, provided that there is enough room to maintain the needed clearances.

Many Mobile home fireplaces were vented with very cheap/flimsy vent systems.

Now some questions ???

Was this fireplace originally a fireplace with a gas burner sitting in the thing, Or was this a gas fireplace that has a sealed front with a heat bonet and a blower system ?????????/

Many Mobile homes had regular fire places and with these you could install a stainless flex liner.

To be sure, consult your local code people to make sure whats needed, so you dont end up spending the $$$$$ twice to get it right/safe

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.