Can indirect water heaters thermosiphon?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveBP

Minister of Fire
May 25, 2008
SW Maine
Anyone out there have a standard indirect water heater setup with a thermostat and circulator that will thermosiphon all by itself when the DHW loads are low.

I'm wondering if it could be piped to encourage self circulation from a pressurized heat storage tank by eliminating high and low spots in the pipes and keeping the DHW tank up higher than the bottom of the storage tank. The flow restriction through the circulator is my real unknown.

Any experience or opinions?

Some of the things that will affect natural circulation would be the difference in temperature between the tanks which dictates the density of the "heavier" colder water verses the "lighter" hot water. A good clean piping arrangement would work best as you stated. The flow should be so low that the flow resistance of the pump should be minor. An internal check valve in the pump may be a problem. I am wondering if installing a bypass around the pump with a low resistance check valve may alleviate that issue. My concern would be the type of heat exchanger in the indirect and how that would work. A sidearm would seem to work best for that application. Just my best guess.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.